Help with picking a Spinning Rod

2/20/16 @ 2:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JQuinn
JQuinn
USER since 1/9/16
Hey everyone, I could use some help with picking a couple new spinning rods. I am confused with all the new rods only coming in fast or extra fast actions. I thought for crank baits, stick baits (like x-raps), and lipless cranks, one was supposed to use a moderate type rod. When I look at all the new rods, from most expensive like St. croix and Loomis, to even some house brand rods like bass pro, everything is rated fast or extra fast. I am in the market for new spinning rods. I would like to get a couple of really do that will hopefully last me 10-15 years. Looking in the price range from $100-$300 per rod, but would appreciate any good deals or sales, because I have historically owned cheaper rods but now understand the difference.... So any thoughts on spinning rods for the following lures: Lipless cranks, Regular cranks like hot an tots, rapala DT, etc, Stick baits or jerk baits, and Spoons I am okay with one rod handling all four situations but I guess that probably is not realistic so if you have separate recommendations for any of the four above, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I am just having a hard time finding a higher end graphite spinning rods in moderate power to fish the baits above. I am afraid I am losing fish by pulling hooks out of fish with fast or extra fast rods that I have. (I fish super lines like nano or fluorocarbon) Thanks so much. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and knowledge JQuinn
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
3/13/16 @ 9:38 PM
JQuinn
JQuinn
USER since 1/9/16
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice.

I will focus on my hook sets and all of the other advice out there.

Thanks again,

JQuinn

Post Your Comment
3/5/16 @ 9:12 AM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
I sold all my St.Croix rods and bought Elk River Customs,Mark is a great guy to work with ! Bought a musky rod from them and used it about 1/2 doz.times and wished it was longer and a tad heavier,well I called Mark and had him build my daughter a rod and we talked about the musky rod and he told me to send it back for a diff.one Cool Did not take him up on the offer just saying thats the type of guy's they are Wink

Post Your Comment
3/5/16 @ 8:50 AM
JustPerchinAround
JustPerchinAround
USER since 1/16/14
I like to crank on a moderate fast blank. It will help you keep from ripping the hooks out of the mouth. As for rods, why buy something off the rack from a big box store when there are so many quality custom rod builders out there that can deliver the rod you truly want.....

Post Your Comment
3/2/16 @ 7:58 AM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
I like the fast tips for casting cranks. gives you great feel. great for making contact with structure but not burying the lure.

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 5:21 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
How about looking at this from another perspective entirely. If you are looking for a rod that is truly moderate in action and built specifically for your application then I would consider a baitcast rod(s). You mention throwing lipless cranks and wide profile baits like Hot n Tots/Rapala DT. In my opinion these SHOULD be thrown by a baitcaster. Larger spoons also. There are many companies that make moderate action "crankbait" rods when looking at baitcast models. I think you would find the action and control you will have over these types of baits is vastly improved using a baitcaster.

Just my $00.02.

Jimmy

Post Your Comment
2/27/16 @ 5:46 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
You are not too far off on the softer rod for crankbaits. We offer a 7'0" Medium, Moderate action crankbait spinning rod in our ER1 Walleye series, and it's one of our most popular rods the last few seasons. It almost has a feel between medium and med-lite, and some guys really like it for jig and live bait and slip bobbers too.

We also added a 7'0" Med-lite, Mod-fast for rigging this season. The market has a lot of fast and extra-fast rods, but faster is not always better.

I like to stress, it is personal preference, but for guys that don't want the really fast action we do have some options.

Think Spring!

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 11:15 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
"Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one."

OTOH, some opinions are better informed than others, so in this case, I'm inclned to defer to KVD.

More often than not, you'll see medium- / moderate-action recommended for shallow cranks and lipless under 1/2 oz; MH for heavier baits. It's reasonable to suggest a similar rod for stick baits, as The basic idea is that a stick bait rod has a little softer tip for slower recoil and slower initiation of action to the bait. Many stickbaits get yanked out of the water by too stiff a tip and the fast recoil of a stiff tip doesn't let them glide. They also allow a slower "cadence" when twitching the bait yet still impart a lot of action. This also saves angler effort.

As far as spoons are concerned, you didn't say whether you're talking about larger (i.e. > 1/2 oz) spoons like DareDevles, or lighter, flutter-type spoons. I'd go with a 7' MH-F baitcasting rod for the former, not as clear on the later, as I don't fish light spoons much.

As I posted about baitcasting reels, the brand isn't all that significant, IMO. In the $100-300 range, you're gonna end up with a good rod, whether a Loomis, St. Croix, Dobyns, etc. YOu can figure the math as to whether to buy one $300 rod vs. three $100 rod, we can't help you there.

Post Your Comment
2/21/16 @ 7:54 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
It's only my opinion, and believe me everyone has one but....from what you are posting I think you are looking at it from the wrong way, maybe instead of missing fish by pulling the bait out of their mouth you are actually not getting a good hookset with a fast/extra fast rod.....the fast tips are more limber for longer casts, a med/light/heavy (not fast) is better for setting the hook...

I use the fast tips for things like crappie fishing because I am a lip ripper (can't break the habit), also don't use super lines for the same reason, mono has some forgiveness....

ST. Croix are great rods (sensitive), I like Fenwick also, there are a LOT of good rods out there....

Post Your Comment
2/20/16 @ 6:46 PM
Mr.Pinch
Mr.Pinch
USER since 5/17/15
I've been thru several rod manufactures, and after everything I've decided that St. Croix is my rod of choice. It has the most to do with the way they warranty their rods. I've really struggled with other companies. So, whatever you decide I'd pick one from the St. Croix line.

Post Your Comment