garmin fishfinder wire question

5/11/16 @ 8:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Jax
Jax
USER since 1/5/06

What do the four wires hook up to?  The red is power,  the black is ground, where do the other two go to?  Thanks for helping.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
5/12/16 @ 10:07 PM
QDad
QDad
USER since 1/2/12

I bought that same unit and just installed it on my kayak.  When rigging the power cord I ended up cutting those two wires down and then sealing them in some heat shrink.  Didn't see myself ever using them.

Post Your Comment
5/11/16 @ 7:29 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15

Muskie Nut is right. Those are data lines. More precisely, NMEA 0183 transmission lines. The most common use for those on a small boat is to make a connection between the sonar unit and a VHF radio. Then the two can exchange information like latitude and longitude in case of an emergency. With a radio that has the correct abilities it can send your exact coordinates to the Coast Guard if things go bad. 

Post Your Comment
5/11/16 @ 3:58 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
USER since 6/26/01

Brown and blue are data cables.

See about 21:50 mins mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm1q_ob25-k

Post Your Comment
5/11/16 @ 11:51 AM
Jax
Jax
USER since 1/5/06

Its a Garmin 53dv and the wires are brown and blue.  The transducer wire is separate and runs from the transducer to the screen.  This wire runs from the screen to the power supply and has four wires in it.  I know two the red and black are for power and ground.

Post Your Comment
5/11/16 @ 11:39 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
USER since 6/26/01

What model? ` What colors are they?

Transducer maybe? 

Post Your Comment