Fireline not winding tight on retrieve, very loose!

3/17/16 @ 11:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST
FamilyManDan
FamilyManDan
USER since 6/18/13
Put 10# Fireline backed with 4# mono with a 4# floro leader casting a 1/32 jig w/slip bobber on the Shimano Syncopate SC1000FG model. Seems because of the lack of instant anti-reverse the fireline wraps around the spool very loosely, often times the reel itself when reeling in slowly with pauses throughout the retrieve. Any idea's on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it, or is it because it doesn't have the instant anti-reverse feature??? I also have the 2500 model with just mono and this never happened with that setup. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/12/16 @ 7:15 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15

Try letting the line out behind the boat without a bait on it or anything.  Troll at a slow speed for a few hundred yards. Then hold the rod tip in the water reel it in while pinching the line. That should help.. I love 8lb fireline but 10lb seems to give me trouble. fireline works perfect for skipping wacky worms behind docks. 

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 11:00 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Fireline and light weight jigs, you need some resistance when winding that in.

Post Your Comment
3/23/16 @ 9:36 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
My after it softens it'll lay better. It needs some resistence-a tiny jig and small slip bobber probably isn't enough...at least yet. Try pinching the line at the start of every retrieve and holding it taut until it's started. It should get better once it starts breaking in.

But it's one reason I don't care fire fire lineWinknce it starts getting easy to use its also starting to fray just a little. I prefer PP.

Post Your Comment
3/23/16 @ 12:50 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I bought some 10# nanofil because it floats and seemed ideal for steelheading, I like the stuff so much it is now on my other braid spinning rods. It handles much better than fireline. It has replaced power pro and suffix. Those lines hold a lot of water and freeze much easier than nanofil, they are also much more like to suffer from wind knots.

Post Your Comment
3/18/16 @ 4:43 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
You could try a different brand but the same lb test.... see what happens. Maybe try power pro?

Post Your Comment
3/18/16 @ 9:30 AM
FamilyManDan
FamilyManDan
USER since 6/18/13
I was thinking resistance may have been part of it. I'll have to try the lighter fireline, I used the 10# because it matched the diameter of the other lines. Thanks, guys.

Post Your Comment
3/18/16 @ 6:20 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
I'd say 10# Fireline is the culprit. I like Fireline, but I usually run 4# Fireline with a 6# fluoro leader - and the leader is what usually breaks.

By going to the lighter Fireline it will lay much nicer and tighter on the spool, with less tension.

With a 4# leader, 4# Fireline is plenty - and will cast MUCH nicer too.

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 4:25 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
It's not necessarily the anti-reverse; however, I have noticed that fireline seems to need constant resistance to spool tightly.

Post Your Comment