SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Elite 9 Ti or Helix 9

6/16/18 @ 8:33 AM
INITIAL POST
Jav1
User since 1/28/03

Well with no help from Lowrance with my GPS issues with my LCX 37c and after checking all connections I have to believe the GPS must have died. So I need to buy a new unit. I do not want to spend the big bucks on high end units and after looking at the two at Cabela's I would like some opinions on each from anyone who has experience with the Lowrance and Hummingbird units. Basically looking for the pro's and cons of each any failure issues anyone has experienced. Thanks for your help. 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
6/20/18 @ 9:04 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I am by no means that fluent re side scan. For salmon, yes you can see suspended fish but I think limited to <50 fow. I think the guy at Gander needs to read how side scan is used by walleye guys. Jasen Halfen is on Humminbird prostaff and has a lot of clips re how to use the product. He is a river rat walleye guy who used to do a lot with In Depth Outdoors. Posts a lot of stuff on Facebook that is very helpful.

https://www.technologicalangler.com/

For me 12" screen is over kill. Plenty satified with my 9" Humminbird Helix chrip mega SI and 10" HDS. Maybe if you got a 9" instead of 12" side scan might not be much of a price jump.

Grey Beard

6/20/18 @ 7:24 PM
Jav1
User since 1/28/03

Thanks Grey Beard. You have lots of knowledge on both products. Yesterday I visited Gander Outdoors in Sheboygan. I played with both units. I like touch screen but the Hummingbird did impress me. I will take your advice and look for a module to see if that is the issue. I also like your idea with the Helix 12.  Although the salesperson stated the sidescan is used primarily buy bass fishermen looking for shoreline fish. Does the sidescan work for suspended fish? ( Salmon or walleye) sidescan is all new to me. He suggested I buy without sidescan and save some money. 

Thanks again for your help.

Jav 1.

6/20/18 @ 12:24 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
User since 8/20/07

I just upgraded this year to the Eliteti 12 and 9. I wanted touch screen and side scan. I haven’t messed around much with the side scan but I’m getting the hang of it.  I’m happy.

6/20/18 @ 6:03 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
I have the Helix 7 and love it, never had a problem.  I was told the Lakemaster maps that go with the Humminbirds are much better for the Mississippi River so I went with that.   I have always had good luck with Humminbird.
6/19/18 @ 7:30 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Nice write up Grey Beard. I switched from Lowrance after many years to Hummingbird a couple of years ago. However I did it because of trolling motors. I do not however regret the switch

6/19/18 @ 7:44 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

If you don’t plan on paying the extra money for linking fish locator and trolling motor I don’t think it matters which brand you choose.

I have had multiple Lowrance units over the years and currently have a HDS 10 gen 2 on my salmon boat with a LCX 113 on the rear that is fed by the HDS. Last year I bought a Humminbird Helix 9 chirp mega SI for my walleye boat. It seems to me neither brand has intuitive software but Humminbird maybe a little easier to learn to use. There are some great videos on YouTube for Humminbirds and more helpful than some of the Lowrance clips.

You are trying to work with a budget that might not include side finder. I am just getting used to it and have a long way to go. However amazing what one can see vs typical sonar. Down scan really helps distinguish bait vs weeds, wood etc. Side scan helps to find fish and structure better than either. I’ve had the side scan on my salmon boat for a number of years but not patient enough to learn the buttons to push to get it up and useful. Because of the Bird now using side/down scan on salmon boat when in <50’ and amazed at what I can see. Does it help me catch more fish. Maybe. It does show me if bait and fish are present and may just have to wait them out. I know that top walleye and bass pros use down/side scan to find and target specific fish.

I wonder if you can get an external GPS puck for your LCX 37C? I recall Lowrance pushing buying their much more accurate GPS puck vs the internal GPS(and it is). You could check with their tech support to see what external puck might work then look for one on EBay. Or see if anyone you know has a setup that you could plug into to see if that would work. If that were the temporary solution then I would save my money for the Humminbird Helix chrip mega SI.

You can read about both companies giving good post purchase support or terrible support. My experience with Lowrance has been favorable. No contact with Humminbird. There is a Facebook user group for Humminbird that has a lot of interesting posts with pictures etc and the issues some have had with various units.

Good luck,

Grey Beard

6/18/18 @ 6:39 AM
Jav1
User since 1/28/03

I have a ultrex  I pilot. I know Hummingbird and Minnkota are compatible but I not sure if it matters due to not having I pilot link. 

Each unit has its own features, the plotting feature on Hummingbird is nice if you have a use for it. Just not sure what to buy.

6/17/18 @ 6:23 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

What kind of trolling motor do you have? Is it one capable of being connected with a GPS/sonar? If you have Minn-Kota then you go with a Humminbird. If you have a MotorGuide then you go with a Lowrance. 

Both companies make good units. A question like this very often has people answering in a way where they are venting about a bad experience with a product. 

Base your decision on compatibility with your existing equipment (trolling motor), of course budget is a factor, and spend time on YouTube watching videos of their capabilities and ease of use. 

I switched to ‘birds after being a long time Lowrance user. Primary factor was the trolling motor compatibility. Beyond that, it seems like Humminbird does a slightly better job of making their older units linkable with the new stuff they roll out every year or so. 

6/16/18 @ 8:56 PM
Mr.Pinch
User since 5/17/15

I have the elite 9ti and love it. So far it has worked almost flawlessly 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE