Electronics...which one.

11/4/14 @ 12:04 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Please no bashing, just an honest opinion which way to go, Humminbird or Lowrance. I'd be very interested in how you've been treated when there IS a problem.
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
3/19/15 @ 8:57 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06
Purchased a HB portable. While customer service was fantastic, unit would not show fish in less than 20 ft of water. They sent a second unit, a new transducer and I tried everything they told me to do. In the end they let me return for a full refund. I now have a Garmin and I am very happy.

Post Your Comment
3/18/15 @ 8:42 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I like em both. I think Humminbird has better mapping. Lowrance has better sonar and side imaging. Humminbirds are easier to run since they are less customizable (which is why Lowrance is better in the sonar department). If you have Minnkota trolling motors then consider Humminbird if you have or want to upgrade to the iLink. I have heard great things about the Xi5 from Motorguide and you can now link that with your Lowrance. I have had great service from both companies. When Lowrance changed owners there was some issues with really old units not being serviced anymore but they are back to being top notch.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
3/7/15 @ 6:51 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Hummingbird

Post Your Comment
3/7/15 @ 8:45 AM
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02
I had my hds gen 2 unit doing some funky stuff last year, called lowrance, they asked for the serial number looked up my unit and told me to send it in. It took 2 weeks but I got a new unit once a technician looked at it and said it wasn't fixable. The downside is you have to send the unit to CA and shipping takes a week. Upside is the unit was replaced no questions asked, I didn't even have the receipt from the purchase. Happy with lowrance, I know how to operate them so I will stick with them. Just got a new unit with structure scan so Wel see how long it takes to learn that ;)

Post Your Comment
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02
I had my hds gen 2 unit doing some funky stuff last year, called lowrance, they asked for the serial number looked up my unit and told me to send it in. It took 2 weeks but I got a new unit once a technician looked at it and said it wasn't fixable. The downside is you have to send the unit to CA and shipping takes a week. Upside is the unit was replaced no questions asked, I didn't even have the receipt from the purchase. Happy with lowrance, I know how to operate them so I will stick with them. Just got a new unit with structure scan so Wel see how long it takes to learn that ;)

Post Your Comment
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02

Post Your Comment
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02

Post Your Comment
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02

Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 10:17 PM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
My next unit is going to be a Garmin. I was a Lowrance guy for more than 20 years. A couple of years ago I went Humminbird. Neither can stack up to the simplicity and image quality, and GPS quality of the Garmin. Just my observation from eye balling all of them.

Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 8:06 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
Its unfortunate that they don't just replace the units if they aren't going to fix it. Offering to sell one to you just kind of sucks. Like I said, I have never had issues with mine but that sure would make me uneasy too. Those units are expensive and if a company isn't going to stand behind it, I'd move on rather than give them more money for another graph that they may not stand behind as well.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts