down imaging more, or side imaging?

6/2/15 @ 5:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gethenet2me
Gethenet2me
USER since 6/8/13
i am looking to upgrade my outdated electronics. i have been looking at the hummingbird helix5 si. this unit has di and si. my question is what is used more, di or si. i hate making big purchases like this
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
6/23/15 @ 1:28 PM
Brody McWilliams
BMac_Fishing
USER since 5/7/15
Any structure vision is ideal. I have used the majority of all products and brands and prefer to run with DI and SI majority of the time. if you only want one screen up at a time then SI can work well once you understand how it works, then on 455 khz is ideal for closer in stuff too so you still kind of get a decent view of the bottom below you. Down Imaging is what I mainly focus on for most lakes looking for fish and variations of depth changes and stuff definitely on a small screen. Once you perfect the use of Side Imaging though there is nothing compared.

I though prefer to have both showing SI and DI at my console. In front of the boat I run Down Imaging next to Chirp sonar, which in my opinion isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I just have it on due to having enough space on a lowrance touch 12. If I had to pick one though I'd pick the structure scan because it is going to be showing you a lot more of what you really care about.

Fish Indy Guide and Electronics Service
(317) 750-1580
Post Your Comment
6/17/15 @ 12:33 AM
fisheswithU2
fisheswithU2
USER since 4/29/14
I bought the DI/GPS combo back in late April. I like the DI because I've never used normal sonar before so I wasn't sure what to look for (arcs I know) and the DI gives a much cleaner picture. I've noticed with the DI I can really see individual fish and gauge size to an extent. I can also see how many bluegills or bait fish in a particular school. The SI/GPS was never in my budget for the extra $150, heck I wasn't even planning on buying a fish finder this year but when I saw all the features and the fact I can use it ice fishing, for $350 it was a no brainer. I'd say if you have the money and want it then go for it. I'm certainly no expert on fish finders as this is my first but I have zero regrets about purchasing the Helix. I love it!

Edited on 6/17/15 12:35 AM
Post Your Comment
6/16/15 @ 1:08 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Agreed, both are nice, but if you can only get one, get SI.

Post Your Comment
6/5/15 @ 9:47 AM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I use down imaging more since most of the lakes I fish have good lakemaster chips and I am pretty familiar with the structure down there.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
6/5/15 @ 8:03 AM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
HDS

Post Your Comment
6/5/15 @ 5:54 AM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01
I use side imaging a lot more than down image.

It is a great structure and fish finding tool!

Post Your Comment
6/4/15 @ 10:02 PM
BoatFever
BoatFever
USER since 10/7/07
I agree. Side imaging is extremely useful. Early in the year, I use it to see where weeds are popping up, finding cribs, gravel bars, etc. I only have a five inch screen and like others have mentioned, it's extremely difficult to see the detail you need on that size screen, so I record and then view later on my computer. You can see a lot more then. Cribs usually stand out enough that even on my 5" screen I can mark them and circle back.

Post Your Comment
6/4/15 @ 6:44 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I have both and run the back unit on Sonar Structure Scan and Side Imaging. I use the side imaging to shoot under the many floating boat docks that we have on Lake of the Ozarks. I look at the structure scan to define the trees on the bottom and I use sonar to locate fish and bottom contour. My front locator is always full screen sonar. This allows me to have a better view what is under my trolling motor. When it comes to locators spend as much as you can however learn to use what you have. I use Lowrance Locators I feel both brands are great it is just what I have.

Edited on 6/4/15 6:45 PM
Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
6/3/15 @ 11:17 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
Kyl_me, I have a helix. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I don't post opinions on forums anymore due to the constant bashing on this site.

Post Your Comment
6/3/15 @ 6:39 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
That video is the best explanation I've seen.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts