Coldwater reels

10/20/15 @ 11:42 AM
ORIGINAL POST
dickb
dickb
MEMBER since 9/11/12
I fish walleye on the Mississippi till it freezes. My problem is in cold weather the drag plates on my spinning reels seems to contract or something so that no matter how tight I turn the drag it doesn't tighten up. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
10/22/15 @ 10:57 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I second the reel grease you are using. Never had that problem open water in below freeze weather during rains and sleet storms , or ice fishing.

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 7:05 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
can't say that I've ever experienced that either... not even way back when, when Dad and I would user our Mitchell 300 rods and reels on Big Green for lakers in conjuction with a hand line

only issue was that the reels would get a little stiff if it was too cold, probably because of the lube we used back then

but never an issue with the drag

now I'm basically using Shimano's, and they don't get affected by the cold, neither do the little Pflueger's I bought for ice rods

Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 8:08 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
That is a new one to me. I have many reels that do double duty of open water and ice and never heard of such a thing.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 7:18 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
what reels are you using? that sounds ridiculous. I dont use expensive spinning reels, but I also only use shimano's. I have never had this problem when ice fishing or steelheading.

Post Your Comment
10/20/15 @ 12:41 PM
frozentoo
frozentoo
USER since 7/27/12
Give Quantum's 'Hot Sauce' reel oil mixed with a VERY light application of generic "Reel Grease" **containing** PTFE to the drags' washer assembly. Works for me when winter Steelheading open H2O ..

Post Your Comment