Chip help

4/6/15 @ 4:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
schon
schon
USER since 3/28/11
A friend and I have decided to start to learn to fish the "Bay" and "Bago" this year. So to help, we have already secured two guided trips. Also have attended a number of seminars as well. At the seminars, I remember some power points that showed bottom structure (we are mostly interested in Jigging and casting). The detail shown was great. So yesterday I hooked up my Lawarance 5300 GPS with my Wisconsin Lakemaster chip (approx 9 years old). Looking at various areas of the lower Bay I was dissapointed in the view. Zoomed in and out and the detail was VERY poor,to what I remember seeing presented. The structure lines were white and very hard to view; they changed to black after water depths were about 20 feet I think. Lines were in 3 or 4 foot spacings. Do I need a "newer chip"? Different brand" I also purchased a "Hot Map" of the lower bay. That has minimal detail as well. Is there a better choice. I do like to have a paper map as well to be able to see the big picture...not easy to do on the small screen. Looking for help from the Lake Linkers, as the nearest Gander is 60 miles and farther for a Cabelas. Thanks Harold
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
4/8/15 @ 3:46 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
If you have a gps capable smartphone or tablet, you might want to take a look at Navionics App

cost is $10..

take a look at their web app too... move to the area you are interested in, zoom in for more detailed contours

while there, you can take a look at their phone app...I believe has a free trial

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Edited on 4/8/15 4:21 PM
Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 3:40 PM
schon
schon
USER since 3/28/11
Thanks you two. It does come down to the chip, and a good combination of your responses. I started with lowrance. No software updates for the unit, and lake insight chips work only in the newer equip. Called the G.B. Cabellas , and was told nothing is available for the 5300 model. Live with it or get new equipment. What the heck; called the Wausau Gander...sure, the Navionics chip should work just fine. It does; one foot contour lines, great detail. Done!

Thanks for caring!

Post Your Comment
4/7/15 @ 2:20 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
Not sure you will be able to find a newer map chip for that unit as it is pretty old. Most of the newer chips only work in the HDS units. You might want to consider upgrading your GPS along with a new map chip.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
4/7/15 @ 4:46 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
yes a better newer chip will have 1ft contour lines that will show better structure and definition in the bottom. what graph is this going into. if bird the newest lakemaster will have 1ft contours. if lowrance the lake insight pro will have 1 ft contours also

Post Your Comment