Cat Fish Info

3/19/16 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
iglootipup
iglootipup
MEMBER since 1/8/10
I would like to try cat fishing and I'm looking for info on what gear I would need to get started with...rod & reel, what lb. test line, tackle, bait.... ect. Thanks in advance
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
3/27/16 @ 10:22 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
Your question seems to be answered pretty well. I find for an all around setup get yourself at least a 7'6" MH rod. I like the Rippin Lips Supercats (About $45) If you use baitcast reels you can go with something like an Abu Garcia or Shimano ($79 to $119)Spinning I am not much help. I like a 30# mono line for the main line on the reel then adjust the snell strenth from there. Some no-roll sinkers, hooks, and swivels and you are ready.

The topic can get a lot deeper but that should get you started for now. If you have more questions pop into the catfish section and we can go from there.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 10:59 AM
thatbassguy
thatbassguy
USER since 1/20/09
Your equipment and bait will vary depending on which type of catfish you're targeting and where. For eater size channel cats and bullheads, medium spinning tackle and 8-12# monofilament might be all you need. For big flatheads in snaggy areas, you would probably want to use heavy baitcasting tackle with 80-100# braid to muscle the fish out of the wood.

I mostly fish for flatheads in a lake with very little current and no real snags to worry about. I use medium/heavy baitcasting and spinning rigs with 20# Berkeley big game mono.

I use slip-sinker rigs and 3-way rigs with 1-3 oz weights. I use large inline circle hooks and large live and cut-bait. I highly recommend inline circle hooks no matter what type and size fish you plan to target.

For channel cats and bullheads, cut-bait and stink bait seem to be the preferred method. Sonny's seems to be the preferred brand.

If you plan to shore-fish, you'll need good strong rod-holders. I made my own with pvc pipe attached to a piece of steel rod. These are strong enough to hold a fish until I can get to the rod.

Let us know what you plan to target and where, and you'll probably get some more specific information. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
3/19/16 @ 6:25 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
here's the forum on cat-fishing... there's a bunch of good guys there that would point you in the right direction

http://lake-link.com/forums/Catfish-Fishing/

good luck

Post Your Comment