Cabelas Goof Up

8/16/15 @ 11:22 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Today I had a client that went and bought a very nice spinning real and rod. He had Cabalas put the new line on it for him. They put the line on the spool backwards. Talking about a weird thing to figure out. I told him to take the rod back because the reel went backwards. He use mine all day and never had a problem. Just as we were coming in for the day I happened to notice what was wrong. We let all of the line out behind the boat pulled it a bit reeled it back on and bingo it worked fine. Something so simple can cause such a problem.
Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
12/23/15 @ 9:06 AM
deskjockey
deskjockey
USER since 1/23/10
Went to Hoffman Estates site yesterday morn. As expected, pretty quiet without lines except at the firearms counter. There were about 8 people in line, but it was very slow moving despite a pretty good crew behind the counter (looked to be all handgun interest). I can only imagine what the weekend was like.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 8:01 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15
I was at Cabelas in Richfield on Saturday afternoon also. The line was back to the far end on the hunting apparel. Things moved steadily and I'm fairly certain I wasn't in line more than 10 minutes. I handed them my Cabelas club card and they didn't have to ask for my phone number and yes, I rounded up 99 cents for conservation.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 10:32 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I will be the first to admit that I suck at most aspects of shopping. I did expect things to be busy but getting into that line appeared to be a major time commitment, well beyond 20 minutes. It looked like it would be hours. How far back in line did you start? If you say that the line cycled through quickly and all went well for you, then perhaps I was wrong. BUt , there is no way that line got through in 20 minutes from where I would have had to start. I watched the line for a while. It was a long haul for those poor people. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
12/21/15 @ 5:28 PM
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
I do not want to put blame anywhere, but I will play devils advocate. I was also at Cabela's on Saturday and your right the check out line was to the back of the store. What I did notice was they expedited the lines by not allowing people to go up to any given register by them selves and clog up the area. They would send a group through, and try to keep things orderly. All the check out lines were open, and i was only in line for roughly 20 min. I hate standing in line trust me, but I also knew going to a place like Cabela's 7 days before Christmas and on a day that they had a Door Buster sale that it might just be Busy!! It kills me when people think on a weekend before Christmas they would be able to buy a bunch of stuff and walk right up to a check out. Christmas, Deer Hunting Fishing opener etc, etc.. comes pretty much the same time every year...Hello? Just my 2 cents.. and I am not trying to get in a P#ssing match. but maybe people should use some common sense and stop putting blame on everything or everyone else.

Post Your Comment
12/21/15 @ 9:09 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I went to Cabelas in Richfield Saturday afternoon. I expected it to be busy and it was, but It didn't seem to be really packed..............until I tried to check out. I was frantically shopping for some clothes for my wife and actually found some stuff that I think she would have liked. I went to check out and the line extended all the way to the back of the store?!!! The line snaked through the outdoor clothes/camo section and went past the stairs by the deer exhibit. I watched the line for a minute or two and it didn't move. I just left the cart and left. As I walked through the store to leave, I couldn't help but think about all the other people still shopping. That is no way to manage a store. They should have been ready for this. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 1:46 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Ha, ha, Ed, I dunno about a can 'o worms, but I'm with you about lovin' it. This has turned into one of the more interesting threads I've seen in a while.

To each, his own, as the saying goes. I've been impressed with denesox' fishing acumen from previous posts, so if he likes "rollin' his own", so to speak, who am I to quibble?

And for all any of you guys know, I may be incapable of "the human touch"! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
8/21/15 @ 9:16 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
BM12, I hope it works for ya. I fish fluoro as mainline and you just can't be putting that on with a spooling machine, I don't care how experienced you are with it coach Big Smile....it needs the human touch. Probably 90% of my bass fishing is done with a spinning rod and fluoro mainline (I drop shot a lot) and I have zero issues...like never. With mono and braid though coach, I get your point.Wink

Musky, just make sure you don't just spray it on the spool like lots of people do, but rather run the line through a soft cloth sprayed with the reel magic to effectively clean AND lube the line as its being spooled up...makes a world of difference, line just lays flat, I don't even need to clip it.

Post Your Comment
8/21/15 @ 10:54 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Wow this has become a pretty much big can of worms. But I love it. happiness is a spinning rod that the line lays perfect.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
8/18/15 @ 2:24 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
One other comment: I don't want to make spooling fishing line sound like a bigger deal than it is, let's face it, it's far from rocket science, but if you screw it up bad enough, you may not be able to fish at all, which obviously kinda sucks.

The fact is that there are plenty of people out there who are far less experienced in the ways of fishing than most of us here on a fishing website are; they don't know anything about how the equipment works, nor do they want to, they just want to go outside and spend some time relaxing doing what they enjoyed as a kid. So it's a big benefit for those folks to go into a store where the people working there know from whence they speak.

And yes, it sure sucks when a customer goes to such a store expecting a higher service level and then gets much less than he bargained for. Hey, that's life, i suppose.

I expect that there have been people who had a less-than-stellar experience when hiring out a fishing guide; that doesn't mean hiring a fishing guide is a bad idea (right, Big Ed?)!

Post Your Comment
8/18/15 @ 1:35 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
bait casters and braid are easy....I dont really like doing spinning reals that have mono or fluorocarbon on them. I bought some reel magic per desenox suggestion on a fluorocarbon debate because I had given up on it as a main line for spinning reels. We will see what happens.

I do about 5 spinning reels a year with mono and it is not hard....but just annoying because sometimes it does not want to lay nice.

Edited on 8/18/15 1:38 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts