Buying a new Walleye Rod

3/2/15 @ 8:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
RBel88
RBel88
USER since 1/25/13
I am looking to buy a new walleye rod this year. Most of my fishing is by jigging. I like the feel of the new St Croix Legend Tournament Walleye Spinning Rod, but I don't like the cost at $250. Any suggestions on something similar for about half the price?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
3/26/15 @ 5:55 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
I personally like the fenwick elite tech walleye rods or the st. Croix eyecons. For a really nice custom rod made for you personally I would give buzz a call at b and b custom rods, he is a member on lake link but if you can't find him Google b and b custom rods in Ripon wi. You can go right to the shop and get fitted as I like to call it for what application you will be using the rod for. Pick any color combos you want and for the same price of a eye con or elite tech with way better fit and finish on it. He also repairs broken tips and busted guides for very cheap prices.

Post Your Comment
3/26/15 @ 4:51 PM
brewcrew20
brewcrew20
USER since 1/13/14
TRS70MLF - The St Croix Triumph 7' Medium-Light Fast action rod would be a nice choice for light jigging. I have build several rods on the same blank and it is very nice.

Post Your Comment
3/26/15 @ 4:51 PM
brewcrew20
brewcrew20
USER since 1/13/14
TRS70MLF - The St Croix Triumph 7' Medium-Light Fast action rod would be a nice choice for light jigging. I have build several rods on the same blank and it is very nice.

Post Your Comment
3/26/15 @ 4:50 PM
brewcrew20
brewcrew20
USER since 1/13/14
You might want to consider the TRS70MLF, Triumph 7' Medium-Light Fast Action, St. Croix. It is a great light jig rod.

Post Your Comment
3/26/15 @ 1:28 PM
Shellfish
Shellfish
USER since 7/19/03
Been using Fenwick Hmg amd Hmx rods for a long time. Very sensitive and comfortable to use. Great action.

Shellfish

Post Your Comment
3/8/15 @ 1:36 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
YOu won't get anything similiar for 1/2 the price. You might get good rods for that price but theres a reason it's $250, it's that good. IMO people buy to expensive of a rod for a lot of applications but when it comes to jigging walleyes you can't go wrong buying a super sensitive expensive rod. You dont need much of a rod to know a musky hit your top water bait but to tell if a walleye is sucking on your jig in 40' of water takes a quality rod.

Post Your Comment
3/8/15 @ 12:44 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01
Bought a sweet St. Croix at a Florida flea market for 20 bucks can't wait to get it home and try it out, got a Mitchell 300 at home waiting for it. Broke two rods in Canada last summer on monster water wolfs.

Post Your Comment
3/8/15 @ 12:30 PM
Mr. G
Mr. G
USER since 7/4/01
You may want to consider the Fenwick Aetos rods. These are Fenwick's top of the line and compete well with higher end rods from other manufacturers. I bought a 7' medium spinning last year and couldn't be happier. The usual price for these is $179, but if you look around online and ebay they can be had for $130. I bought mine online last year for $130.

Post Your Comment
3/4/15 @ 8:43 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06
I picked up two St Croix Premiers (7 ft med/light) this past holiday season for $90 each by watching for coupons and special deals. A nice walleye rod. And since I have a tendency to abuse my gear, that $50 replacement is a great deal too!

Post Your Comment
3/4/15 @ 7:30 AM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
USER since 1/1/06
If you're looking to keep price down and still get into a nice rod, you can't go wrong with a St. Croix Triumph. Only about 85 bucks. I own a few. I've fished with Avids and I really don't see a give difference other than the color of the paint.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts