Finally figured out a mystery that had been bothering me for the last five or six years.

I have a Lowrance HDS 5 that I love and use kayak fishing, ice fishing and out on a pontoon...it has been an outstanding product. A few years ago I noticed a bunch of tiny white spots all over it and despite a lot of effort to try and make them go away nothing worked. Eventually I attributed it to ash or something from a nearby campfire when my kayak was beached or something and I didn't realize it was in the smoke path. I kayak camp with it a lot, so its not out of the realm of possibilities.

Fast forward to this past week. I was on vacation in the northwoods with a brand new HDS 7 carbon. Awesome unit by the way. Well I finished up fishing Friday night, nestled my kayak on the shore, move the boat to a different position on the dock and headed in for the night.

Next morning comes along and I grab my trusty Oakley polarized shades I have had going on eight years. I can't see out of them. They are completely blurry and really messed up. I look at the front of them, its as if something has melted everything off the front of them.

Then it hits me. When I got done fishing the night before, my sunglasses were propped up on my hat because it was past sunset. Bugs were getting bad. I gave my head zone a quick blast of repel to keep the mosquitoes away. Completely forgetting my sunglasses were propped on my hat, they also received a healthy blast of bug spray and then sat all night.

Later that day I also discovered some of the white mystery spots that my old HDS 5 had, on my brand new HDS 7. I was completely bummed and it finally hit me what was going on.

Luckily - if you get to the white spots on the depth finder before they get a chance to bake in the sun for weeks on end, you can for all intents and purposes remove them with a little elbow grease. I also didn't get any on the screen and it was only a few dots, so I dodged a bullet on the depthfinder.

Moral of the story - in two seconds of spraying Repel when bothered by bugs at the end of a day of fishing, I destroyed my sunglasses lenses that are no longer made and was very close to doing irreparable damage to the housing and screen of my brand new depth finder.

Use with extreme caution, wipe anything accidentally hit immediately or find another product!