SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Braided line for trolling

7/20/18 @ 9:50 PM
INITIAL POST
goosekiller48
User since 12/20/10

How does braid line affect the dive of a crank bait vs 10 xt trilene? And what do u guys normally run for pound test? 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
8/14/18 @ 11:57 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
i use both depending on what I am pulling and where. I use 14/6 Fireline which will make your baits dive about 25% deeper based on the trolling bible and my experience.
7/24/18 @ 7:00 PM
Walterchaser
User since 6/14/16

You could do a 40 pound super slick braid if you want a similar dive curve to 10 pound mono. 

Precision trolling app is 110 bucks right now. Pretty slick app. 

Braid is hit and miss. Yes it's nice to get deeper but it seems to be hard on the board grips and your boards slide back unless you wrap around about 3 times. Some styles of snap weights also have a problem staying put. 

good luck

7/22/18 @ 3:26 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

If you were using 10lb mono and switch to 10 lb braid there will be some less resistance and the lure will run slightly deeper. If you switch to a braid that is the same diameter as the mono you will run shallower. Braid has a course/rough texture and it will have more resistance to a mono line of equal diameter and thus run shallower. The other effect to keep in mind if using braid to troll with planer boards is the no stretch of braid. That will cause the board to jump more especially in rougher water. Likewise that will cause the lure to run more erratic. Wether that is a good or bad thing you would have to use your own judgment. 

7/21/18 @ 11:51 PM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08
Braided line allows baits to run deeper, There is an app you can buy or an old book called precision trolling that tells you the depths that your lures will run at different speed with different lines.
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE