Braid or Mono on your walleye spinning rods?

1/8/16 @ 6:44 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
Just wondering how many guys run braid vs. mono on their walleye rods?
(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
1/20/16 @ 11:02 PM
cnrwi
cnrwi
USER since 4/1/12
I use power pro. Diver I have two of most of my reels so I first put on the amount of braid I want then fill the spool with backing. Then on a different reel of the same model I spool it on and it is perfect. Once you see how much backing goes on the first time just measure it with a tape measure or eyeball the next time.

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 7:17 PM
Mr.Pinch
Mr.Pinch
USER since 5/17/15
In dirty water I run power pro only. Works good for me. In clear water I use power pro with about 2 and a half feet of flourocarbon leader on the end

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 10:23 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
I prefer mono for everything except jigging in rivers. For some reason I have trouble getting good hook sets on walleyes when there is current involved. In that case I like to keep a reel spooled up with PowerPro.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 5:30 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
High vis power pro on jig rods. Low vis green power pro on casting rods and 8lb trilene xl on slip bobber rods. Forgot to add to make the power pro spool go farther I bought a hand held line counter and only put 50yds on each rod so i can get 3 reels off 1 spool of power pro you just need to figure out how much backing line to put on the reel first.

Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 12:52 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Fishballs, FireLine consists of fused strands of material, PowerPro is actually a braided line. I used to use FireLine when it first came out, but once PowerPro hit the market, I switched to that and never looked back.....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 3:03 PM
fishballs
fishballs
USER since 4/8/04
hey steve, what is the difference between power pro and fireline? i like useing fireline with a flouro leader and a barrel swivel for jiggin on the wolf.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 2:38 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I used 8 or 10 lb. PowerPro braid for EVERYTHING, it doesn't matter whether I'm jigging, dragging live bait rigs or casting crankbaits.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 1:55 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I use fluorocarbon on jigging/bottom poles and braid on my casting poles.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 9:12 AM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
i use fireline for nearly everything. i love it for jigging. much better feel and better hooksets. plus if you get snagged you can usually pull the hook straight and get it back.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 9:00 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
The majority of my walleye fishing is the spring run on the Wolf River. I use both. Mono for jigging on mostly snag free spots and casting crankbaits and a braid to work a weedless jig in the wood. The braid with it's no stretch structure allows for a better hookset on the weedless jig. It also gives a better chance to get a jig out if it snags in the wood.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts