Best Spinning Reel?

11/24/17 @ 8:36 AM
ORIGINAL POST
jackel2
jackel2
USER since 4/24/08

his video explains why I think this is the best spinning reel.  I own 7 of these, some over 10 years old and they still work perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnOImVq4DXw

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
2/20/18 @ 1:25 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I have taken it to a reel repair guy,  $35 to even look at it.  Not worth my time.  I've dried to lube them up,  i've put grease and oil everywhwere,  nothing resolves the issue.

Post Your Comment
2/20/18 @ 12:20 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

LB Have you tried cleaning the ARB they may be the reason you are getting that little glitch.

Post Your Comment
2/20/18 @ 11:14 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I agree and disagree. they cast great, smooth and fair price. The con's are, the anti reverse seizes up in the cold,  they reel or spool uneven and in about 4 years time if you fish like i do,  they are not smooth and "catch" a bit..making pitching jigs and slow retrieves a real pain in the azz.  I actually have 6 or 7 as well and about 3 others that i just threw in the garbage can.  Reels are not build like they once were.  I run shimano Symetre's as well,  they'll "catch" as well at about 5 years.  My original one is about 15 years old,  all aluminum gears,  it's great.  All the new stuff is garbage.  I wish i could find a $75 reel that will last 10 years but you won't find it.  

That said,  the Presidents are a good price,  you can find them for $49 at times,  I use them till they start "catching" in 5 years and throw em out.

I had numerous Shimano Sahara's go in the garbage can too.  

I'm switching most of my stuff to Diawa.  Pflueger Supremes are great reels,  never had an issue with them but I don't use them but for vertical jigging.  they don't cast worth a crap.  No idea why.  They don't cast even close to a President.

I have a Stradic that is about 15 years old,  it's still working great.  Other than that,  new reels these days are maintenance items,  just like refigeratiors, washers,  dryers etc.  nothing is made to last.

Jafisherman said Diawa revros,  they are new as of last year.  I bought 3 of them.  So far so good and they cast great.  I can't honesty give a fair review yet on reliability.  they also spool or reel line uneven though.  personally I don't like that.

As far as the video goes,  maybe for the price the Presidents are "best" if you only fish 15 times a year,  but i've proven many times they are not the best longevity wise.  Ice fishing I'd never run a president.  If you intend on fishing cold (10) degrees or less,  you better have a heated shack or they will free spin on hook sets.  

Edited on 2/20/18 11:27 AM
Post Your Comment
2/20/18 @ 9:26 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

The problem with presidents they are slow and heavy,I do have 5 in three sizes and do work for some things but they have never ben my go to reel.Supreams are lighter and faster for there size and I like them but they do not hold there smoothnes for more then a couple of years.Stradics are great more then 100bucks but I have some that are over 20 years old and still smooth.Diawa Ballistics are the best that I have fast and light and they stay smooth I have never paid more then 100 always get on sale.

Post Your Comment
2/20/18 @ 1:04 AM
Dolores1012
Dolores1012
USER since 1/6/18

Good.

But now i Use Shimano Stradic FK Spinning Reel

Edited on 2/20/18 1:05 AM
Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 6:13 PM
boge
boge
USER since 2/2/06

I’m 60 and have easily owned over 40 reels over the years. Couple Diawas,one Pfluger,a few Cardinals, one Quantum and the rest Shimano. Clean them annually and oil as needed.  I have nothing “against” any one brand.I’ve spent over a hundred bucks on a few older Stradics but my fave is what my “best” rigs have now. The Shimano Sahara. I LOVE the weightless of these babies!! Not too pricy 80$. I would recommend a Sedona also.Real nice reel for around 55$. My baitcasters are Garcia’s and Shimano. Kids are gone now but my whole family and their friends ;fished and man my stuff got used and abused. Boy Jackyl,”about” one year on that Shimano.Terrible.

Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 1:25 PM
jackel2
jackel2
USER since 4/24/08

I agree, it comes down to ones opinion and personal experience. 

25 years ago , I didn't have much money and buying a new spinning reel was a BIG deal I bought a Shimano reel.  It lasted about 1 season - I tried out a Pflueger President and liked it.  25 years later when I want to expand my spinning arsenal I never even consider buying another reel. 

Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 1:21 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Mr Bass, I'm with you on the Pfluegers.

Post Your Comment
12/7/17 @ 4:35 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I don't care for Phlueger and never have.  I prefer Daiwa, Shimano, or Abu's.

Post Your Comment
12/7/17 @ 4:26 PM
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
USER since 9/25/17

BigMusky12 sorry I must have missed where it was limited to a certain price point.  For the $$ I think it's hard to beat the Shimano Sahara.  I have a buddy that works for Cabela's in WI and the Sahara is their biggest seller.

Edited on 12/7/17 4:33 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts