BACKING ON SPINNING REELS

4/2/16 @ 11:33 AM
ORIGINAL POST
500sp
500sp
MEMBER since 4/4/10
Is it advisable to reel on some backing on a spinning reel before reeling on new line??????
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
4/4/16 @ 8:06 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I usually only do about 5-10 wraps of mono and then rest braid. If I get that deep in spool - I grab the spool so fish has to either turn, bend out hook or break leader if I am using it. Do not let fish take you down to backing if you are using that little.

You can get away with smaller reel, aka lighter setups, with this arrangement because a spinning reel will have a lot more capacity if using almost all braid vs. significant proportion of mono.

Post Your Comment
4/3/16 @ 11:04 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I use mono backing on all my spinning reels. I buy inexpensive 8-10# mono and join to the braid with a double unit knot. I cover the knot with a small piece of electrical tape. If you get deep into the spool after a couple of break offs your line can hang up on the knot when casting.

Typically I use 1/2 of a 150yd spool on each reel. If you want to spool full to help make your casts longer: add the 75yrs braid then top off with mono. Put that line on another spool and then to another spool then back on the reel you want to use. Yes, extra work but you get a full spool.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
4/2/16 @ 12:22 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
If using braid its a must or the braid will slip on a bare spool. You can also use some tape but that's a lot of wasted braid. If using mono or fluorocarbon its not a must but for fluorocarbon is expensive and it will save you to put mono down 1st.

Post Your Comment