SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

anchor winch

4/9/18 @ 9:07 PM
INITIAL POST
wild-bill
User since 9/1/13

I need some advice on an electric anchor winch for a 16 ft fishing boat.    our trolling motor is a minnkota so am leaning that way.  any ideas?  Thanks

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/27/18 @ 8:51 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Did someone say anchormate? I skip the anchor holder and rope guide thingee. Instead I installed a chock on the front gunnel way to the front that lines up perfectly with the drum on the winch, and the rope packs on in a perfect self feeding back and forth motion till it hits the 3 feet of chain that really helps the anchor hold in the wind or current. Yes it's manual and I lift the chain and anchor in by hand every time, but for my boat, it works.

4/26/18 @ 10:11 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Oops!   I should have typed Billie   Sorry CARPIO 

4/25/18 @ 3:57 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Bill I currently own a minkota electric winch,works great,no foul ups. I used to own Anchor Mate winches but had switch problems and the rope kept getting fouled under the rope guard. No more of them! I own a 165 alumicraft classic.     CARPIO 

4/24/18 @ 8:46 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I have a Minn-Kota on my boat, but I bought the boat used and it came with it or otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with one. It takes forever to wind up and even going down it takes a while, so if I'm wanting to be tight to a spot I'm probably off the spot by the time the anchor gets down there. And if I have about 40 feet of line out for fishing in 20 fow it'll take about two minutes to wind it up. Also it's hard to know when the anchor is finally wound up all the way. Even though the first foot or two is a chain if I'm in the back of the boat where the switch is I can't hear it wind up all of the time. So if and when the winch breaks I probably won't replace it. I can let out an anchor and bring it in way faster by hand than I can with the winch.
4/23/18 @ 3:58 PM
wallybeav
wallybeav
User since 11/6/08

I’m pretty sure it’s number 43 on schematic drawling. It’s been about 10 years since I replaced one. It’s very simple to do and you will know when you broke it and where it’s at. Because anchor will not come up and shaft is not spinning.

Click on link below for schematic drawing 

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0191/7628/files/2007_AH_-_Minn_Kota_-_accessories_-_DeckHand_40.pdf?1200

4/23/18 @ 10:44 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Where is this shear pin you speak of ? I looked all over the manual and I can not find it, I just put the DH40 on my boat.

4/10/18 @ 11:18 AM
wallybeav
wallybeav
User since 11/6/08

I have a 30 lb anchor on mine. They recommend anything from 20-40. When i broke the first shear pin it was under warranty. The service center guy i took it to for warranty coverage told me to always use a 30 lb and to go buy solid shear pins. Then he took me in back and showed me how easy it is to repair. i had to replace the pin he put in a year later and put a solid one in and never replaced again. I river fish and anchor a lot and never had any problems except for anchor getting stuck under tree branches. Lost 2 anchors in 10 years of having but a lot less pain on back.

4/10/18 @ 9:04 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

How heavy an anchor will those handle?

4/10/18 @ 9:01 AM
wallybeav
wallybeav
User since 11/6/08

I have a 16 ft boat and I have the Minnkota Deckhand 40. Bought it about 10 yrs ago. I also bought the Minnkota mounting plate. It will tell you on the box or in directions to use mounting plate. then it slides on and off boat real easy. It also has hole for using a lock in case of theft. Also make sure you get the Remote. It comes with a lot of cord to reach unit. When i first got mine I snapped the shear pin after using whole summer. I did not move boat up before raising anchor to give it some slack. So make sure you have extra shear pins. Mine snapped couple times. Very easy to replace. Even on water. Just have screwdrivers and hammer and small punch to knockout piece if lodged in hole. I have severe back problems and Love it. No struggling lifting. 

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/anchor-winches/deckhand-dh-40-pontoon

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE