Trouble breeding

4/5/16 @ 10:10 AM
ORIGINAL POST
raweye
raweye
USER since 3/10/08
Hello everyone. I'm currently breeding my male and brothers female labs. Long story short, my lab is blocky and short, female is a little to tall for correct point of contact. My male wont leave her alone, and continues to be oh so close, but has to jump or get on one leg to try and connect. When we try to assist, they are labs so their tails wag, and they stop. Any pointers? Thanks everyone, I appreciate any and all input.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/11/16 @ 5:44 PM
mr_benelli
mr_benelli
USER since 8/22/10
I just bought a british lab. He is 8 weeks now....for the guys who know alot about breeding dogs. Is it weird for the mother to have only that 1 pup. Yes only 1 male came out...he has a fox red color like the father. The mother last liter had 7 pups. Now this liter only 1. Is this a good thing or a bad thing.

Post Your Comment
4/9/16 @ 8:39 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I don't think that you've exhausted all possibilities yet. Has the dam tried rolling over? Or has the male tried taking bottom? Are either allergic to oysters? Toys? Visual aids? Have you tried introducing a 3rd party?

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 11:42 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Collect the male and do an AI or a surgical implant. But like others have said when the time is right they will figure it out, if they can't figure it out then I would consider not breeding them. They're labs, it's not like they're bulldogs, if they can't figure it out ask yourself why not?

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 6:45 PM
raweye
raweye
USER since 3/10/08
lights, music, and wine have not worked thus far lol. As for your comment SHEEPD0G, I have breed litters previously and had good success, with no issues. So thanks for throwing the stupid word out there, really good one. I only asked because I have not had the issue before with a short stocky male and a taller female, that is a little out of reach. We are not just throwing two dogs together just because, and have had many discussions with our vet and my friend that breeds champion Chesapeake. They all said to assist, but that does not always work the best as the female will still flag but will become distracted. So I'm so sorry to bring a stupid question to SHEEPD0G. This site continues to astonish me.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 5:54 PM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
Soft music, a bottle of wine, dim the lights.......

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 3:46 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
USER since 5/22/12
Take it as a sign from the dog Gods that you shouldn't be breeding those 2 dogs. You clearly have no business breeding them if you have to come on here asking such a stupid question. When the time is right, they'd figure it out...

Post Your Comment