Tick control

8/23/17 @ 7:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
D/M
D/M
USER since 8/23/17

Ticks have been very bad here in WI this year. Was wondering what some of you would recommend to control and repeal. I have a new lab this year she was a 1year old in July.  She has gotten her lyme shot and i did use Front Line but she had a hair loss reaction. Very bad all over her body. Was thinking of using NexGard. What do you use are you happy with it.Thanks for your input.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
5/20/18 @ 1:05 AM
adrianastepheny
adrianastepheny
USER since 5/3/18

I also use nexgard , I give Separate a single dose at the perforation. and repeated every month. I got a lot of information here

Post Your Comment
3/19/18 @ 2:16 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I use next guard.  it's about $19 a month if you buy a year supply.  I don't use it in Dec-Feb.  I start in March.  First 45 degree day they come out...

Edited on 3/19/18 2:16 PM
Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 9:00 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

pulled a tick off my dog today. Was out working on food plot 

Post Your Comment
3/12/18 @ 10:02 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Collar came today a full 2weeks after I ordered it. Packaging looks legit.  I didnt know it is an Aussie company which is OK with me. If it is an asian company I would have looked elsewhere.

Post Your Comment
3/1/18 @ 9:29 AM
hunting4keeps
hunting4keeps
USER since 3/13/17

Wibrowndog that was exactly my concern as well. I'd be saving over $30 ordering for 3 pups, but I wasn't comfortable ordering from them. I trust Serestos shelf life, I know they aren't active until opened, but I would rather order stateside.

Post Your Comment
3/1/18 @ 7:46 AM
wibrowndog
wibrowndog
USER since 2/23/17

River-chaser, have you ordered from them before? Last week I saw that they had a good deal on nexgard. I did a little research on them and noticed they are in Australia??

Post Your Comment
2/27/18 @ 5:11 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

In case anyone is looking for deals, I just ordered a large seresto collar for $38 from    sierra  pet  meds.  I'm a bit dubious thinking it might have a short shelf life but from what Ive just read these collars a long shelf life as long as the pkg isnt opened.

Post Your Comment
1/10/18 @ 6:43 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10

River, use any spray containing permethrin very carefully.  This stuff is pure hell on insects of all kinds but is also damaging to kidneys and liver.  I use it on my clothing and have had less than 4 ticks in the last 5 years.  

Post Your Comment
1/9/18 @ 9:30 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Thanks for that info migr8r.  There seems to be no perfect sloution to eliminatin g ticks and this thread is rightfully titled *tick control*.  Ive thought of using both collar and topical (such as frontline) simultaneously but the chemical exposure to the dog and the possible health issues from that are a risk too, IMO.  (I may have mentioned this before in this thread so apologies for repeating myself if this is the case) In times of heavy tick exposure such as early hunting season I also use a spray on tick repellant in addition to the seresto collar.

Edited on 1/9/18 9:33 AM
Post Your Comment
1/9/18 @ 12:11 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11

I put Soresto collars on both my dogs in May last year and never came across a single live tick. In Oct, I did find one dead deer tick that I am guessing bit but hadn’t bit for long. 3-4 days later that dog was lethargic and down for the count. I took him to the vet, they did a Lymes test and came back inconclusive. I insisted to start doxy anyway. Within hours he was noticeably improving and by the next day was near normal. 

My point is that it had been long believed that ticks had to be attached for 24 hrs to transmit a disease. It is now thought to transmit nearly immediately. So even though you’re using a tick preventative, it is still quite possible to get a tick borne disease. Sudden lethargy and general discomfort are the first symptoms I’ve personally noticed. Doxy is cheap and results will be seen soon after the first dose. If your dog has those symptoms, get them on doxy irregardless of what the vet thinks or what other tests they want to run. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts