SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Tick control

8/23/17 @ 7:34 AM
INITIAL POST
D/M
User since 8/23/17

Ticks have been very bad here in WI this year. Was wondering what some of you would recommend to control and repeal. I have a new lab this year she was a 1year old in July.  She has gotten her lyme shot and i did use Front Line but she had a hair loss reaction. Very bad all over her body. Was thinking of using NexGard. What do you use are you happy with it.Thanks for your input.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
5/20/18 @ 1:05 AM
adrianastepheny
User since 5/3/18

I also use nexgard , I give Separate a single dose at the perforation. and repeated every month. I got a lot of information here

3/19/18 @ 2:16 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I use next guard.  it's about $19 a month if you buy a year supply.  I don't use it in Dec-Feb.  I start in March.  First 45 degree day they come out...

3/17/18 @ 9:00 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

pulled a tick off my dog today. Was out working on food plot 

3/12/18 @ 10:02 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Collar came today a full 2weeks after I ordered it. Packaging looks legit.  I didnt know it is an Aussie company which is OK with me. If it is an asian company I would have looked elsewhere.

3/1/18 @ 9:29 AM
hunting4keeps
hunting4keeps
User since 3/13/17

Wibrowndog that was exactly my concern as well. I'd be saving over $30 ordering for 3 pups, but I wasn't comfortable ordering from them. I trust Serestos shelf life, I know they aren't active until opened, but I would rather order stateside.

3/1/18 @ 7:46 AM
wibrowndog
User since 2/23/17

River-chaser, have you ordered from them before? Last week I saw that they had a good deal on nexgard. I did a little research on them and noticed they are in Australia??

2/27/18 @ 5:11 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

In case anyone is looking for deals, I just ordered a large seresto collar for $38 from    sierra  pet  meds.  I'm a bit dubious thinking it might have a short shelf life but from what Ive just read these collars a long shelf life as long as the pkg isnt opened.

1/10/18 @ 6:43 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

River, use any spray containing permethrin very carefully.  This stuff is pure hell on insects of all kinds but is also damaging to kidneys and liver.  I use it on my clothing and have had less than 4 ticks in the last 5 years.  

1/9/18 @ 9:30 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Thanks for that info migr8r.  There seems to be no perfect sloution to eliminatin g ticks and this thread is rightfully titled *tick control*.  Ive thought of using both collar and topical (such as frontline) simultaneously but the chemical exposure to the dog and the possible health issues from that are a risk too, IMO.  (I may have mentioned this before in this thread so apologies for repeating myself if this is the case) In times of heavy tick exposure such as early hunting season I also use a spray on tick repellant in addition to the seresto collar.

1/9/18 @ 12:11 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I put Soresto collars on both my dogs in May last year and never came across a single live tick. In Oct, I did find one dead deer tick that I am guessing bit but hadn’t bit for long. 3-4 days later that dog was lethargic and down for the count. I took him to the vet, they did a Lymes test and came back inconclusive. I insisted to start doxy anyway. Within hours he was noticeably improving and by the next day was near normal. 

My point is that it had been long believed that ticks had to be attached for 24 hrs to transmit a disease. It is now thought to transmit nearly immediately. So even though you’re using a tick preventative, it is still quite possible to get a tick borne disease. Sudden lethargy and general discomfort are the first symptoms I’ve personally noticed. Doxy is cheap and results will be seen soon after the first dose. If your dog has those symptoms, get them on doxy irregardless of what the vet thinks or what other tests they want to run. 

1/8/18 @ 5:23 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I've seen it on ebay for 35 haven't decided to switch to it yet maybe I'm looking at the wrong one 

1/8/18 @ 4:07 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Seresto really yanked the price.  last years price was 55 and chewy had it on sale for 44 last spring.  Now the price is 72 with the sale price at 55. 25% yank in one year.  Have to think about it, there is time to consider other options afterall.

12/3/17 @ 6:48 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05
Our weimaraner is 10 weeks old. Been walking her in our woods here in central Wisconsin. She's had two ticks on her the past two days. Never thought I'd see ticks in December. Doesn't surprise me though with the mild weather so far but temps will fall quickly this week.
8/27/17 @ 10:35 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I don't know for a fact but I wouldn't be concerned at all with leaving the collar off for a few hours or even a full day.

My only real concern is how effective it is going into the 7th or 8th month. Surely the effectiveness wears off some with time. I may call it good after 6mos and get new ones just to be safe. Well worth the cost of the collar vs some tick disease. 

8/27/17 @ 8:45 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I keep a close eye on that seresto. If it falls off the dog and is lost I am out $55. So when brush busting season starts in a feww weeks I would like to take it off for the time in the woods then put back on after the hunt.  I wonder how that will affect tick protection. Is there any layover chemical on the skin to repel ticks for several hours once collar is off?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE