Swimmers Tail

10/5/14 @ 9:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Rae
Rae
USER since 6/19/01
I got a 16 month old lab that I think has swimmers tail. She usually wags that thing so crazy u would think its going to fall off. Now a couple of inches is straight and the rest is limp and she isn't too fond of me touching it. We hunted yesterday and today with lots of swimming and it was fairly cold. Any of u guys have a experience with this? Also, any of u guys use vests? My lab is about 55lbs and doesn't have much fat on her, she was chattering all weekend in the blind. Yes, she is a house dog also. My older one didn't need one, but this one seems to get colder. Thanks, Rae
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
10/8/14 @ 9:37 PM
Rae
Rae
USER since 6/19/01
Thanks guys, she is all better now, ready to hunt this weekend.

Post Your Comment
10/7/14 @ 7:27 PM
wiemer
wiemer
USER since 6/22/01
Get up north for a week of fishing and taking the dog swimming in the lake and his tail after one day is one inch out and bent 90 degrees down. tail will not wag back and forth. Very sensitive for me to touch it so I was like o' great...no more swimming for him. Waited 3 days and he was back to normal! Good luck.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 9:34 PM
Rae
Rae
USER since 6/19/01
Thanks guys for all ur responses. I will give her a break the next few days or more and see how she acts. She wasn't too fond tonight when I took the older one out and not her....

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 9:11 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
My lab had that this summer at our cabin. He was around 8 months old was his first time doing lot of swimming. It lasted about 3 days. I had no idea at first what was wrong with him. Never had a dog have that before. He has been swimming lot since never reoccurred.

Just be careful with vests I almost lost a dog because of one. Some how a branch off a stump got up in it. Dog couldn't get loose and almost drowned. I got out to it just in time. Vest was tight on him too. I have read on another site that there have been other dogs that weren't as lucky as mine due to same thing happening. Freak accident's but never want to lose a dog that way. I still use one when it gets real cold. I just watch them close now.

Edited on 10/6/14 9:52 AM
Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 8:03 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
My apologies the dude, for the repeated words. Customer called as I was posting, finished up and hit submit.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 7:58 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
My knowledge of "swimmers tail/cold tail" is; It is very painful for the pup. (check with your vet) But not much you can do, as far as i know. Baby aspirin and rest, a couple days and usually back to normal. It shouldn't happen often, but to help prevent. Carry one of those super absorbing shamms that suck up like a gallon of water and you can squeeze out, with you. Dry the pup off once and a while. Let the pup take a break and sit on a piece of standing mat, (its bout 1" thick with holes) so the water can drain off her/him. On a side note, help the pup dry off on really hot days also. They actually heat up more, when their body is trying to dry off. The shivering is fine, they will build up a tolerance as the season continues. It's more of a worry when they stop shivering and get/look "tired". Keeping the pup dry when you can will help with that.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 7:16 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
Rest is the best medicine for swimmers tail. I've read that a warm compress can help as well.

My dog wears a neoprene vest when hunting. I think it helps some with warmth, but the other reason many use them is because many vests are reinforced in the bottom and provide protection from getting stuck by submerged branches and such when jumping out of boats/blinds. However, if your dog is getting that cold this early in the year, you may have to take a two pronged approach:

1. A good neoprene vest with help. 2. You may have to take a large towel and dry her between retrieves. I know this is tedious but you may not have a choice.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 6:16 AM
RistoRap
RistoRap
USER since 8/31/01
My Springer (has 3/4 tail, not the usual stub) has gotten Swimmers Tail a couple of times. His tail is usually always going a mile a minute but when he get it it's the same story as yours, barley moves his tail and doesn't like it being touched. Usually after a couple days he's back to normal.

Post Your Comment