MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Suggest for Bear Hunting Dog

9/26/18 @ 5:27 AM
INITIAL POST
alexdozon
alexdozon
User since 9/26/18

Want to bring a new member into the family for my wife.

But can't make a decision which one is good for her. My wife is a hunting lover and sometimes she goes hunting. Now I want to gift her an Bear Hunting Dog on her birthday.

If anyone recommends me which one is good for her then it would be very helpful for me.

Thank You.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
11/8/18 @ 10:40 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

A hot trail , but maybe have difficulty on a cold track .

As far as K9 , all I know is what he told me . They have been partners for 6 (?) Years .

11/8/18 @ 5:57 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Very possible River, food for thought..

11/8/18 @ 1:40 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

It makes sense to me though I am at a loss as to how to explain it.  More odors (indoors) does desensitize a dogs nose; though for a hunting dog that will chase a strong and specific odor such as a bear sensitivity not so crucial.

11/6/18 @ 7:27 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

One shot, I don't buy it...but I have been wrong once before.

11/6/18 @ 6:29 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I don't know about bear dogs , but the guy next door is a K9 officer. I asked him why they keep the dog outside ? He said if they are house dogs their nose is not as good . 

11/5/18 @ 10:23 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

A lot of bear hounds are house dogs as well.  Reason I asked...

11/5/18 @ 4:49 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Sounds like he's fixin' to take up bear hunting.

10/31/18 @ 7:30 AM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

How do you plan on using the dog?  House dog?

10/31/18 @ 7:12 AM
Grizz3006
User since 7/13/16

Just like the last gentleman said you are going to get a lot of different suggestions when it comes to bear dogs, I have had walkers, plots redticks and Redbones and your cross mutts that accidenty happen in the group. I can say my preferred hound was the Redbone, But also some of the best dogs I ever ran and ran with were just cross mutts(Walker, Plot, Redtick, bluetick crosses) Biggest thing is look for someone that hunts all year around to get a pup from they will tiplicaly have some of the best pups that will have natural ability to hunt  

10/31/18 @ 6:11 AM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06

This was many years ago when we ran Plotts (15-20). They’ve all passed on now. Used to run Wendt Plotts

10/30/18 @ 10:57 PM
alexdozon
alexdozon
User since 9/26/18

Thanks for your suggestion but don't get any other recommendation till now. 

What about your Plott you said you had Plott before. Where is he now?

9/26/18 @ 8:14 AM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06

Hi Alex,

Every hound owner you ask that to will give you a separate answer... so be prepared for that! With that being said, I’ll do my due diligence and provide my suggestion.  I run blueticks (Smokey River bloodline). I’ve had Plott dogs before, and some very good ones, but never cared for the mouthiness and “babbling in th box” they are notorious for.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE