MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Seeking quality dog trainer SE Wisconsin

8/12/14 @ 9:57 AM
INITIAL POST
Rip-A-Lip 86
Rip-A-Lip 86
User since 8/26/09
Just brought home my first pup and am looking to have him trained as I just don't have the hours to put in. Furthermore, I don't really know what I'm doing. I was referred to Waterdog Specialties but all of the courses are full. I would like to find a waterfowl specific trainer. If anybody has any suggestions within reasonable distance of Milwaukee, please chime in. The pup is 9 weeks old. How long do I have before he is "untrainable"? Just curious if he should be a ride along for this season and have him trained next spring or if that would be too late. Thanks guys!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
8/20/18 @ 7:46 AM
CanaryGrass
User since 9/21/15
If you are considering Salty Dog, your dog better be a small one.  I took my 100 pound male lab there some years back for a month of training and Larry sent him home after only a few days.  He claimed that the dog could benefit from some “obedience training” before coming back, but one look at the dogs there and it was clear why he was sent home.  Every single dog was in the 50 pound range and I think Larry just didn’t want to deal with my big male (he’s not a big guy).  I would have been open to him doing obedience work in addition to hunting but he was determined to send my dog home.  Not what I would expect from a seasoned hunting dog trainer.
8/7/18 @ 12:46 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I spoke to Larry at Salty Dog and it looks like that is where Harley is going.

8/4/18 @ 2:27 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I’ve heard good things about “Salty Dog trainers” and also “DonnyBrook kennels” both in Cedar Grove bout 30 min north of Milwaukee. I’ve been looking into taking my lab in for training just haven’t done it yet. 

8/4/18 @ 8:19 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Igor, are you looking for a trainer to pay and do all the work, (just drop the pup off)? Or are you looking for a trainer to teach/train you and the pup?

8/2/18 @ 5:39 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I'll give them a look.  Thanks.

8/1/18 @ 10:24 AM
JMTieds
User since 3/28/11

I'd recommend checking out Alex Britton @ Southern Oak Kennels - Bracken Creek Outpost. He's located in Cedarburg, WI. Great guy and is really making a name for himself for his training. Also would recommend Jessie Richards @ Full Throttle Kennels. She's up in Campbellsport, WI. Both great trainers, next generation trainers and making big names for themselves. You wouldn't go wrong with either of them.   

7/30/18 @ 8:20 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Hi folks.  Due to my work schedule and now coaching football I've run out of time to train my pup who is now 9-1/2 months.  Can anyone recommend a good trainer, preferably in SE Wisconsin?  I want him mainly for pheasants but I do field huint for waterfowl.

I have the basic obedience down but just can't seem to get him "over the hump" for retreiving and need help. I scrolled through this thread but being 4 years old, not sure if any of the trainers listed are doing it anymore.

Thanks for the help.

9/12/14 @ 8:28 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Bass, all over Racine, Kenosha, and Waukesha area. We move around, depending on what we're working the dogs on. Have you started training "blind" work? Ladder drills, line drills, Wagon wheels, etc.? Just a bit of advice, if you are? And only because I got corrected this week. NO COLD BLINDS, IDENTITY THEM ALL, when your pup is still at the learning level.
9/11/14 @ 9:01 PM
bass master$
bass master$
User since 2/19/08
Im curious as to where you guys train at?.i have 2 yr old chocolate I would like to start on hand signals & blind retrieves.
9/11/14 @ 8:22 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Coot, no problem. Glad you enjoyed it. Again, the group has diminished, now with the hunting season upon us. But no worries, the rest of the fellas you didn't meet are just as helpful. Everyone in our group will help you however they can. And it's good you got to meet Tim before we wrapped up. He is a fantastic guy, very knowledgeable, and he will keep helping you and your pup progress until training begins again in January. I spoke with him today, he mentioned, you got a great pup on your hands, lots of drive. She did great on the retrieves last night. As we said, don't hesitate, if you have a question give one of us a call. See ya Wednesday.
9/11/14 @ 11:04 AM
cootkilla
User since 10/10/05
Got to meet up with Fowl 1, Tim and his group last night. Everyone told me to join an HRC club when I got a pup but as a first time dog owner that can be intimidating. This seems to be a great group of guys and are very knowledgeable and more then willing to share information, seeing as how I have as much or more to learn then the dog. As made me feel better about my dog's ability. Fowl1 thanks again for hooking me up with Tim and his group. I will be there next wed night again.
9/4/14 @ 2:35 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
User since 5/22/12
I know Greg has been training down there for quite some time so he must be doing something right, I remember him doing some training demos at herters tent sales in the late 90's. I know he judges hunt tests as well. West Bend is a short drive to Horicon Marsh HRC, I'd look into joining their club if I was you. I talked with their president Jack at a hunt test this year, real nice guy and definitely worth talking to about the club. If you got the greenbacks then send the pup to a trainer. Training a retriever to a pretty high level isn't all that hard, it just takes time. It's rewarding to do it yourself, and joining a training group helps pool resources and knowledge to help you along the way to train the pup yourself. Horicon Marsh HRC
9/1/14 @ 11:40 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Sorry fellas, busy weekend, and tonight had to get the kids all pumped up for school. But I will get the scoop tomorrow morning and contact both of you. Coot, PM me your phone number. Migr8r pointed out how the PM thing works and I got it. Thanks again.
9/1/14 @ 11:00 PM
cootkilla
User since 10/10/05
Where and what time wed and thurs this week?
8/29/14 @ 7:27 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
1fowl- If you're on the mobile site, you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and switch it over to the main site. Then go back up by your name and click on "manage my account". Once there scroll down to "enable/disable messenger". Enable it. Then come back to my post and click on "send PM". You can only do it on the main site. And to receive new messages you also have to be on the main site. New message notifications will appear under your name but only when you're on the main site.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE