Not doing well

1/31/18 @ 6:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Just got my dog spayed laste tuesday. Everything looking good until this past monday afternoon and I notice the incision is opening. Thats not good.  Took her back to the vet and he stapled up the entire incision which is about 4 inches long. That looked nice and tight then last night I took her for a walk and afterward noticed some staples missing and some falling out, dangling.  Thats not good.  So I went back and had it repaired again today. They told me from the beginning to keep her sedated and on a leash, no running etc. Which I strictly followed. Apparently 1/2 mile walks are a big NO also, so now they tell me.  But this dog is high drive and has to be on the move, even with sedation she wants to hunt, chase and run. And she wont pee or defecate unless on a long walk.   So the 10 pills they gave me werent enough. Now I have to give her up to 6 sedation pills per day for the next 14 days andlimit walking to a few minutes several times per day.  Up to this point the vets been good enough to not charge for the repairs just charging for the extra meds involved.

Edited on 1/31/18 6:51 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
2/7/18 @ 5:23 PM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

Just my own experiences I have had 7 Labs.All but one,the one I have now we're bought from private party's,NO Breeders not one were spayed all lived 14-141/2 yrs! Two I had to give away after 3 yrs. because of job relocation but I kept in touch. A friend only buys from Breeders his Labs lived 7-8 yrs. all were spayed! The breederI got my present lab from told me I had to get her spayed I told him no way! Never had a problem when she comes in heat,keep an eye on her and ALWAYS under control! Just my experience!

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 7:00 AM
cantworkgottafish
cantworkgottafish
USER since 5/8/10

I just had a dog spayed too and talked to my vet quite a bit beforehand regarding when it is best to do it. I was concerned about the tradeoff between doing it at and early age to reduce risk of cancer in later life and waiting to get full development of the dog physically. 

According to  her it is best to do the spay early before the first heat cycle.

My vet's reasoning was: 

She had looked at some recent studies regarding the need to wait for the dog to be fully mature to achieve full growth.  She said that the studies indicated that the difference in size and growth a dog achieves if it is spayed early vs when physically mature is negligible.  Like probably around 5% or so. 

The risk of ovarian or breast cancer for the dog if it is spayed before the first heat cycle vs after is a lot lower. (I forget which type of cancer, probably breast, are the ovaries removed in the spaying?)   I don't recall the exact numbers but it was pretty significant. I think she said if the dog is spayed after it has had even 1 heat cycle the risk of cancer was about 1 in 6 or 1 in 8 (somewhere in that range).  But if it is spayed before the first heat cycle the cancer risk is very low.

So I opted to have the spay done at about 7 months, before the 1rst heat cycle.

So for what it is worth that is the opinion and info I got from 1 vet.

p.s. my dog's incision was also about 4 ". But that was because they repaired an umbilical hernia at the same time as doing the spay.  So the incision had to be extended and was longer than normal.

Edited on 2/6/18 7:20 AM
Post Your Comment
2/5/18 @ 6:04 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

Interesting point River, I'll have to look into that.

Post Your Comment
2/5/18 @ 9:58 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I wasnt sure what the incision length should be. I though 4 inches was excessive since I too have seen 1 inch incisions on other dogs, cats.  So i did some web surfing on this and 4 inches is not unreasonable in this situation. My pointer is 2 years old and 50 pounds and this dictated a need for longer incision.

Larger animal and age. Mature animals such as a 2 yo will have larger organs than a younger animal of the same size. When getting my dog from the breeder he was adamant and I had to sign agreement to such that I wait until dog was 18 months or older before spay or neuter.  Other breeders of hunt dogs make simlar recommendations or agreements. 

There is a belief among some breeders that the hormones from sex organs are needed for proper body growth in the first 2 years. Looking at the hind legs of my dog and seeing how straight and long they are I am inclined to agree.  Ive been told that some vets who are concientious of this matter can look at a group of dogs and immediately differentiate between those that were spay/neutered in the first several months of life and those that got the surgery later after physical maturity.

Edited on 2/5/18 10:01 AM
Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 5:02 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

I thought 4 inches was a little excessive, any female I got fixed was roughly 1 inch incisions.

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 11:08 AM
wibrowndog
wibrowndog
USER since 2/23/17

I hope the next two weeks go well for the two of you. I remember trying to keep my dog under control after she was spayed...can't believe she never had any issues with her incision. She does everything at 100mph! 

I know her incision wasn't 4" long, it was about 1" and they superglued it. The vet told me no hard running or jumping and walks were fine. 

Edited on 2/4/18 7:12 AM
Post Your Comment
2/2/18 @ 10:50 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I double checked my instructions, they never did limit walking distance. Hopefully we get through the next 2 weeks without issues. Using the metal studded collar to dampen her enthusiasm.

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 12:56 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

I know we were advised to keep walks short for at least 1-2 weeks after we had our two labs spayed. And yes, that is a challenge with a young energetic dog that just wants to run..

Best of luck to you and your best buddy.. Hate to see any issues being reported with a dog.

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 7:19 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

river_chase, wow man, unreal. Not a clue as to what to say. Maybe...naw, I am not gonna question yer vet. Good luck!!!

Post Your Comment