New Dog Help

12/14/16 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

My wife and I have a Dachshund Chihuaua cross which i guess people call Chiwienie's. She was my wifes before i met her and is pushing up on 13 years old now. She is a fun little thing to take out in the woods with me when I am checking trail cameras and is a great dog for those that love having a dog on their lap everytime they sit down. But the only thing she will chase are treats are rabbits. And she sure wont fetch anything or even think about it.

I always wanted a lab growing up but my wife and I dont think we have the room for one right now. We would like to get something on the smaller side. Maybe in the 20-35 pound range. I personally would like it to have some kind of retrieving instincts because i want to train it as a shed hunting dog. I thought I would see if anyone has any small breeds that they could recommend for something like that.

I dont know a ton about dogs so I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
7/11/18 @ 12:43 PM
getinout
getinout
USER since 12/22/09
How about a Springer Spaniel?  They are smaller than Labs and much better bird finders with great retriving ability.  Check into them. 

Post Your Comment
7/6/18 @ 6:03 AM
UFCreel
UFCreel
USER since 1/4/11

Look into a Brittany. While i have never owned one. I do have several friends that do. They all are amazing dogs. Not very large of size. But large in affection and energy. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/brittany/

Post Your Comment
6/21/18 @ 8:08 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10

Have you looked at a Vizla?  Close working, very family friendly.  They are velcro dogs.  One disadvantage is they are very soft tempered.  If you yell at them, they wills sulk for hours.  Loved the one I had.  

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 9:43 AM
Squealin & reelin
Squealin & reelin
USER since 1/16/13
I recently got a Blue Heeler and was wondering how they are with upland bird hunting? I wanted to use him mostly for Grouse hunting but was unsure how he would do. He has a lot of energy and loves barreling through the woods but don't really know how he would do with pointing or retrieving. Any advice would be great!

Post Your Comment
5/4/17 @ 10:30 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

Tuelmann, I had my Springer for 15 1/2 years. She was quite the character. We hunted, fished and she loved riding in my Kenworth. Her name was Egypt.

Post Your Comment
5/3/17 @ 8:51 AM
Tuelmann
Tuelmann
USER since 5/3/17

English Springer Spaniel.  Great hunters and family dog.  But beware.  High energy.  Love to run, hunt or walk.  Great in the house but need that energy burn off.  I just got my 2nd 3 weeks ago.  Also have a 2 YO.  Also wonderful around kids.   Smartest dogs I have ever had.  Females in the 25-35 # range Males 35-50 # range.  Ill never own anything else again and have had pointers, many Labs and wife had some lap dogs. 

Post Your Comment
1/18/17 @ 11:05 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate the help.

Post Your Comment
1/14/17 @ 10:31 AM
Benelli 12
Benelli 12
USER since 6/19/01

Dude,

Not from Magnum PI , my daughter named him. We were in line for a female and she had the name "Artemis " ( goddess of the hunt ) name picked out. But only 1 female in the litter. So she named him "Apollo" which is Artemises brother.... 

Registered name " Kenzi's Apollo Elmwood of Deforest "... he was born in Elmwood, Wi... lives in Deforest,Wi. 

Hoping if all goes as planned we will be adding another field cocker this spring. 

First pic, daughter(kenzi) first rooster.

B12

Post Your Comment
1/13/17 @ 1:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

One of the breeders that we looked into when researching Airedales used theirs for pheasant hunting and said it did quite well.  I never trained ours to hunt so I can't speak to that.  I will say that while an Airedale may be a good grouse hunter, that coat of theirs would be a magnet for briars, stickers and anything else that could get tangled.

Got a great Airedale story you might enjoy.  My wife gave ours a bath last winter.  I was in the garage in the middle of a project and told her I couldn't give her a hand.  She said she could handle it.  So she gives him a bath and towels him off.  At this point, she's soaked so she decided to just take a quick shower herself.  She came out of the bathroom to find Murph in our bed drying himself off on our sheets.  But he only pulled the covers back on her side of the bed.  My side was untouched and dry.  Super intelligent dog but he apparently can feel spite and malice.

Post Your Comment
1/13/17 @ 12:13 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

I've never had an Airdale.  I had a friend that had one.  They are great dogs and I'm a sucker for that block head look!  The aren't quite the right dog for me as I do a lot of pheasant and grouse hunting.

Before we got our cabin, my wife and I camped all the time.  We always got stopped and asked what our AWS was.  I would either tell people he was a cocker/poodle mix called a "cock-a-poo" or I would tell them he was a "Mississippi Leg Hound."  My wife hates me.  

Edit:  And I do recall our discussion of Airdales a while back.  That must have been me.

Second edit:  I just googled it, and found out cockapoo is a real dog.  I thought I made it up.  

Edited on 1/13/17 12:16 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts