MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

New Dog Help

12/14/16 @ 1:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

My wife and I have a Dachshund Chihuaua cross which i guess people call Chiwienie's. She was my wifes before i met her and is pushing up on 13 years old now. She is a fun little thing to take out in the woods with me when I am checking trail cameras and is a great dog for those that love having a dog on their lap everytime they sit down. But the only thing she will chase are treats are rabbits. And she sure wont fetch anything or even think about it.

I always wanted a lab growing up but my wife and I dont think we have the room for one right now. We would like to get something on the smaller side. Maybe in the 20-35 pound range. I personally would like it to have some kind of retrieving instincts because i want to train it as a shed hunting dog. I thought I would see if anyone has any small breeds that they could recommend for something like that.

I dont know a ton about dogs so I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
7/11/18 @ 1:43 PM
getinout
User since 12/22/09
How about a Springer Spaniel?  They are smaller than Labs and much better bird finders with great retriving ability.  Check into them. 
7/6/18 @ 7:03 AM
UFCreel
User since 1/4/11

Look into a Brittany. While i have never owned one. I do have several friends that do. They all are amazing dogs. Not very large of size. But large in affection and energy. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/brittany/

6/21/18 @ 9:08 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Have you looked at a Vizla?  Close working, very family friendly.  They are velcro dogs.  One disadvantage is they are very soft tempered.  If you yell at them, they wills sulk for hours.  Loved the one I had.  

6/18/18 @ 10:43 AM
Squealin & reelin
User since 1/16/13
I recently got a Blue Heeler and was wondering how they are with upland bird hunting? I wanted to use him mostly for Grouse hunting but was unsure how he would do. He has a lot of energy and loves barreling through the woods but don't really know how he would do with pointing or retrieving. Any advice would be great!
5/4/17 @ 11:30 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Tuelmann, I had my Springer for 15 1/2 years. She was quite the character. We hunted, fished and she loved riding in my Kenworth. Her name was Egypt.

5/3/17 @ 9:51 AM
Tuelmann
Tuelmann
User since 5/3/17

English Springer Spaniel.  Great hunters and family dog.  But beware.  High energy.  Love to run, hunt or walk.  Great in the house but need that energy burn off.  I just got my 2nd 3 weeks ago.  Also have a 2 YO.  Also wonderful around kids.   Smartest dogs I have ever had.  Females in the 25-35 # range Males 35-50 # range.  Ill never own anything else again and have had pointers, many Labs and wife had some lap dogs. 

1/18/17 @ 12:05 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate the help.

1/14/17 @ 11:31 AM
Benelli 12
User since 6/19/01

Dude,

Not from Magnum PI , my daughter named him. We were in line for a female and she had the name "Artemis " ( goddess of the hunt ) name picked out. But only 1 female in the litter. So she named him "Apollo" which is Artemises brother.... 

Registered name " Kenzi's Apollo Elmwood of Deforest "... he was born in Elmwood, Wi... lives in Deforest,Wi. 

Hoping if all goes as planned we will be adding another field cocker this spring. 

First pic, daughter(kenzi) first rooster.

B12

New Dog Help photo by Benelli 12
1/13/17 @ 2:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

One of the breeders that we looked into when researching Airedales used theirs for pheasant hunting and said it did quite well.  I never trained ours to hunt so I can't speak to that.  I will say that while an Airedale may be a good grouse hunter, that coat of theirs would be a magnet for briars, stickers and anything else that could get tangled.

Got a great Airedale story you might enjoy.  My wife gave ours a bath last winter.  I was in the garage in the middle of a project and told her I couldn't give her a hand.  She said she could handle it.  So she gives him a bath and towels him off.  At this point, she's soaked so she decided to just take a quick shower herself.  She came out of the bathroom to find Murph in our bed drying himself off on our sheets.  But he only pulled the covers back on her side of the bed.  My side was untouched and dry.  Super intelligent dog but he apparently can feel spite and malice.

1/13/17 @ 1:13 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I've never had an Airdale.  I had a friend that had one.  They are great dogs and I'm a sucker for that block head look!  The aren't quite the right dog for me as I do a lot of pheasant and grouse hunting.

Before we got our cabin, my wife and I camped all the time.  We always got stopped and asked what our AWS was.  I would either tell people he was a cocker/poodle mix called a "cock-a-poo" or I would tell them he was a "Mississippi Leg Hound."  My wife hates me.  

Edit:  And I do recall our discussion of Airdales a while back.  That must have been me.

Second edit:  I just googled it, and found out cockapoo is a real dog.  I thought I made it up.  

1/13/17 @ 10:02 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Dude,

Did you at some point have an Airedale?  We don't run across many.  When we walk ours on the local trail, we get stopped by people, usually older or elderly people to meet our boy.  Many say that they had one as a kid and one guy even said, "I didn't know they even made these anymore!"

Great breed but agreed, they are a bit larger than the OP requested. 

When we lost our old boy 5 years ago, I recall posting here looking for breeds of dogs.  If memory serves, I think that you and I discussed Airedales.  As mentioned, I couldn't be happier with our decision.  Extremely intelligent but with a goofy personality.

1/13/17 @ 9:36 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I'm a spaniel guy for life as well.  I just love their personalities!  Not to mention that they are typically instinctively close hunters, have great noses, and are easy to train.  Throw in the big ears that to me makes them always look like puppies, and you will always find a spaniel at my house!

BTW - love the name Apollo.  Even if it isn't a nod to Magnum PI, I'm going to pretend it is.  "Lads, patrol!"

1/12/17 @ 8:15 PM
Benelli 12
User since 6/19/01

Dude,

Depends on the breeder on the tails. I have even seen them both ways from the same breeder  ? The AWS are my brothers, my dad is a springer nut, and I just fell in love with the cockers.All have their niche, all around my brothers AWS are awesome from geese to grouse, ducks,pheasants, sharptails, woodcock. They are a hearty dog ! And goofy !!!

My dad has had 6 springers over the years, can't say anything bad about any of them, awesome field and family.  

Apollo is my first field cocker. I have a buddy who is a breeder and it just kind of fell in line. My daughter helped in the training and did a heck of a job. The best days are when she is out with me, he really responds to her ( sometimes better than me ) he was in Iowa at 5 months and has improved every day we get out. 

When my brother, dad, and I get together for a hunt we have quite the crew heading through the fields, not many pheasants stand a chance !!! I just love spaniels.

This picture is Apollos first bird.

1/12/17 @ 9:43 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Benelli, 

Are all field cockers' tails left?  I thought they were typically docked.  I had it in my head that AWS were the only Spaniels with tails...

Great looking spaniels BTW.  Here is my AWS with my bro's Springer.

1/11/17 @ 1:33 PM
Benelli 12
User since 6/19/01

Have spent time in home and field with AWS... Springers...and English field cockers. I currently have my buddy "Apollo", field cocker... 42 lbs, loveable house,family dog. And a heck of a field dog. Pictured below are all 3....I don't believe you could go wrong with either !

B12

New Dog Help photo by Benelli 12
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE