Male water spaniel , to neuter or not to

2/26/15 @ 11:00 AM
ORIGINAL POST
lad 8
lad 8
USER since 5/4/08
I have an American water spaniel, and would like to know what you all think about having him fixed. Right now he is 8 months and getting a little horny. We also have a 6 year old lab & he is not fixed, never had a problem with him. Both are excellent hunters. Your thoughts on this.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
3/12/15 @ 12:54 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
And a sincere apology at that. I wasn't looking for one anyway, my skin is much thicker than that.

I should add, that my trusted vet and I discussed in detail my options with my dog, and we decided that neutering at 9 months old was the appropriate option for me and my dog. But I'm sure the internet knows better...

The bottom line is watspan has it 100% correct on this topic. Discuss this with your vet. End of story.

Edited on 3/12/15 12:58 PM
Post Your Comment
3/12/15 @ 10:08 AM
red rover
red rover
MEMBER since 8/19/12
Dude.....I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I apologize to you, there you have it.......Red

Post Your Comment
3/12/15 @ 6:42 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
If a male dog is lifting his leg and pissing on things, you didn't do your job as a trainer.....Red

Which I more or less admitted, but in true LL fashion, I'm sure it felt good to talk down to someone.....Dude.

Post Your Comment
3/8/15 @ 1:39 PM
watspan
watspan
USER since 8/3/12
consult your vet on when to neuter

Post Your Comment
3/6/15 @ 12:27 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
Not to mention increased rates of dysplasia, ACL ruptures and bone cancer. Not only for early neutered/spayed dogs but for any dogs not left intact. Personally I have always left my dogs intact. A personal decision, and the consequences were nil. The worst I had to deal with was a female lab that would false preg, leading to one case of mastitis. Had a male Golden that liked to go on tour occasionally but he was friendly, the neighbors loved him and he always came home in an hour.

Post Your Comment
3/6/15 @ 11:37 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
If you neuter your dog early it will never develop into what it should look like. A dog needs the testosterone to develop into the breed standard. Usually this is around 18-24 months. I do a little breeding of bulldogs and tell every person that they should not nueter them until at least 18 months, if they do it before the health guarantee is void and I don't want my name associated with the dog at all. At least half of the people that buy a pup have it neutered within a couple months because their Vet told them they should. Their vet just wants as much money as possible as soon as possible. Then they send me pictures of 2 year old bulldogs that they paid $3000-$5000 for that look terrible because they have no wrinkles, their legs are long for their bodies, their heads are small, etc. all because of early neutering. I then send them a picture of one of their litter mates that wasn't neutered until 24 months and they can't believe the difference.

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 5:33 PM
red rover
red rover
MEMBER since 8/19/12
Horble's post is right on....early spay or neuter is not recommended by most leading vets....I have it stated in my puppy contracts that spay/neuter voids the health guarantee. If a male dog is lifting his leg and pissing on things, you didn't do your job as a trainer.....Red

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 3:28 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
I have an AWS male as well. My plan was to wait until north of 12 months and neuter. He forced my hand by starting to mark inside the house. I was working on training that out of him, but it was tough to go from a perfectly house broken pup to one that wanted to lift his leg on the corner of everything and give it a quick squirt of pee. This started at about 8 - 9 months old. I decided to have him neutered, and it immediately fixed the issue.

If you don't have issues, I'd have him neutered at north of 12 months old.

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 6:09 AM
watspan
watspan
USER since 8/3/12
unless you are a dog breeder, neuter all pets. I've had 2 AWS, neutered both. No reason not to, good reasons to--primarily, you don't have to worry about the dog running off if it gets wind of a female in heat. Secondarily, your dog won't be the source of unwanted mix-breed pups.

Post Your Comment
2/26/15 @ 1:41 PM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
USER since 4/4/05
IMO...regardless of age - I do not neuter my males. There is no mess (assoc. with heat cycles), I am of the opinion that, with proper exposure and training, YOU control the dominance - not the hormones, you also control if he "wanders" into a female that is in heat (to control unwanted litters), and why pay the vet for an expense you don't really need. So if you have control over this dog - WHY would you neuter him unless there is a specific health issue that is causing problems. IMO there isn't a problem with an intact male...except having to look at them ;)

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts