hunting dog whine

9/9/15 @ 7:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
gypedandryped
gypedandryped
USER since 1/26/07
I have a yellow lab. Excellent hunter. Will not stop whining every minute of the hunt in the blind and boat. I tried praising him while he was quiet but giving him attention sparks more whine. I tried scolding him and he shuts up for 30 seconds. He breathes heavy through the whole hunt. I'm sure his heart rate is high the whole time. I'm afraid he's going to have a heart attack...jeeze.any help other than take him to a trainer would help or pointers...
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
7/15/16 @ 10:10 AM
velocity
velocity
USER since 5/12/16

My GSP whines when she is excited. Getting close to the dog park or if we are walking through the woods and she takes off after a deer (and no, I don't let her chase them), she start squealing because she is excited.

Post Your Comment
11/2/15 @ 4:24 PM
danio
danio
MEMBER since 3/14/08
I just got back from a week in South Dakota. the one year old Lab whined for over 600 miles! I just turned up the radio and drove on. On the way home, not a peep out of him! Tired dogs are good dogs.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 5:35 PM
danio
danio
MEMBER since 3/14/08
I have a one year old male that whines and drools constantly. I think they call that drive ! I'm taking him to South Dakota pheasant hunting for a week. I sure hope he shuts up after a couple of hours on the road!

Post Your Comment
10/11/15 @ 4:31 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
USER since 5/22/12
Obedience? Proper socialization? Conditioned to that environment? Just a few guesses, at least from my personal experience of what I see in the marshes of 98% of the dogs out there... Big Smile

Post Your Comment
10/11/15 @ 8:24 AM
red rover
red rover
MEMBER since 8/19/12
I wonder why I can attend a 100 dog retriever field trial where there are 100 amped up retrievers and not hear a single dog barking? Red Rover

Post Your Comment
10/11/15 @ 5:28 AM
mikieb
mikieb
USER since 10/11/15
I got a 9y/o lab with that same whine.... URRGG!!!

In the truck he'll whine non stop and slobber all over the dash... I make him ride in the truck box and he'll bark the whole way... I call him my "Redneck Deer Whistle"

Nine years... In have gotten used to it..

My girlfriend though... she says "He's not like that, He's not like that at all when your not hear... He's the perfect dog..."

So, I use this as proof that my dog lives for me.. I am his "fun human". When ever I'm on the seen... he knows we are going to go do something fun...

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 7:00 PM
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
USER since 6/4/12
Bitter apple right in the mouth with a saying of "no whine" or what ever u choose. Our dog was always barking or whining almost all the time for what ever reason. Sticking with that for a week stopped the un needed noise. He still barks or whines when somethings going on out of normal. Other than that it helped a ton. My trainer suggested that.

Post Your Comment
9/15/15 @ 3:57 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have a 4 1/2 year old black lab. She whines in the truck and out fishing non stop. The moment she gets in the duck boat she is perfectly calm and quite. She wants to retrieve everything while fishing including my bobbers. My father in law says that when I am not there she is perfectly fine but the moment I get in the boat she goes ballistic and runs back and forth whining the whole time. I think she has anxiety.

Post Your Comment
9/11/15 @ 5:40 PM
HardCore Walleye
HardCore Walleye
USER since 4/17/08
My yellow lab did it from day one that I had him until he died at 9 1/2 years. Never could break him of it. Even in the truck he would drive you absolutely nuts, As previous poster said, I believe its in the genetics

Post Your Comment
9/10/15 @ 4:09 PM
allydeer
allydeer
USER since 4/26/08
some dogs it is in there genetics. very hard to fix. mine is nine now a she is the same way tried everything but what ever I shot she would go get it no mater what

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts