Gordon Setter

4/4/18 @ 6:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

Looking for reviews on this breed. Primarily for grouse and pheasant, pointing ideally. Temperament, train-ability, breeders...whatever could be recommended. Also negative reviews welcome.

Love the look of the dogs, and would prefer something different from the norm. Not really interested in english setters, brittanys, griffons, german shorthairs etc etc....I know there is at least one user "Gordonsetter" perhaps they will find this thread.

All reviews, insights welcome. Thank you!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
5/24/18 @ 6:24 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Out of all the gordon's I have come across, not one have I seen signs of aggression.  That is not one of their traits.  Even the ones who are part of the breeding program that are dominate males.  I have seen humping, peeing on trees after another male did it, but not once aggression, especially towards people.  I have been hunting over gordon's for the last 21 years. 

Post Your Comment
5/21/18 @ 12:52 AM
adrianastepheny
adrianastepheny
USER since 5/3/18

The Gordon setter may be a good-sized, sturdily designed, black and tan dog, well muscled, with lots of bone and substance, but active, honorable and classy, showing capable of doing a full day’s add the sector. He contains a robust, rather short back, with well-sprung ribs and a brief tail. the top is fairly significant and finely well-defined. I think you can get more idea here

Post Your Comment
4/25/18 @ 7:58 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

GSM...I looked them up but I see the website is not active. I'll check back in a bit later.

Post Your Comment
4/25/18 @ 5:54 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

Thats the thing,it is the breeder of any breed that makes the differance.That said I have read that Gordon's tend to be a one man dog.

Post Your Comment
4/24/18 @ 8:32 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
MEMBER since 12/15/08

Ayefeesh, contact Heather Kelly at Eastshore Gordon Setters as she's a quality breeder and knows the breed well. Google her kennels or she's on gun dog breeder website. You won't find the Gordon on any list of "dangerous dogs". Hell I have relatives and friends who have P-Bulls that claim their the greatest thing......HA! I will never trust one of them! Like I said in a previous post I am now raising #3 at 17 weeks.....like any pup she's a handful. However if I could live long enough to raise #4 I probably would...then again I'm not a hunter of birds anymore. There's just not a lot of pheasants in this state in the wild.....

Post Your Comment
4/22/18 @ 10:55 AM
cantworkgottafish
cantworkgottafish
USER since 5/8/10

Gordon yes that is very true.  That dog was the alpha and the owner was it's omega bi**ch. HaHa.

He also had a beagle that he let get so fat it's stomach would just about touch the ground when it was standing.  He's a really good guy.But he doesn't understand that you aren't always doing a dog a favor by letting it do whatever it wants.

I was hesitant to even post about that Gordon Setter.  I hate to give a breed a bad rap based on one dog.  But all training deficiencies aside that dog had no interest in birds.

Post Your Comment
4/22/18 @ 8:05 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
MEMBER since 12/15/08

Can't, 

sounds to me like the dog was doing the training.....not the owner...

Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 7:32 AM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

Thanks a lot for the input. I'm sure like anything there are good and bad dogs/breeders. But your the second person to mention an experience with a tempermental one.

Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 7:26 AM
cantworkgottafish
cantworkgottafish
USER since 5/8/10

I've only known one but it was not a good hunting dog. 

It belonged to a friend that I usually hunt with 1 or 2 times per year.  In the times I hunted with it, it never once pointed or retrieved a bird.  It generally ran away and disappeared as soon as it got loose.  Not like it was hunting or seeking birds it was just running.  We would then waste time looking for and calling the dog until it finally came back.  Then it would be satisfied or tired out and walk behind us for the remainder of the hunt. One time it took off as we were trying to load it up at his house. We wasted over an hour looking for and chasing it all over the neighborhood.  If it was up to me we would have just carried on with the hunts and let the dog come back (or not) on its own.  But he was always worried and we'd hunt for the dog.  

The dog also had no interest in birds.  Even when we walked it into a spot where a bird had gone up or another dog was working a bird it showed no interest.

Lastly it was nasty.  It would snarl and snap at people if it didn't like what it was being told.  If it was on a couch/ bed/car seat and you tried to move it or you tried to get back food it snatched you'd get snapped at.

The dog was poorly trained and spoiled by it's owner but it just was not a natural hunter.

I got so sick of that dog that the owner didn't get asked along on hunts for a few years until the dog passed on.  

That's only one dog and I'm sure there are other Gordon's that are great.  But that's the only one I had any first hand experience with.  It was a good looking dog though.

Post Your Comment
4/17/18 @ 9:39 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02

Buy one of these to keep your dog's coats at minimum shed and burr free. Both my GWP and English Setter love it as does my wife and her vacuum.

"Mars Coat King Double wide dematting undercoat grooming rake stripper tool for dogs. Stainless steel with wooden handle, made in Germany $35.99 on Amazon - the 20 blade model"

You'll thank me later. Way cheaper than frequent groomer visits. Just a great tool.

Apologies for thread hijack.

Edited on 4/17/18 9:40 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts