SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Flushers/retrievers vs pointers and "versatiles"

4/24/14 @ 11:38 PM
INITIAL POST
Ditch parrot
User since 4/18/14
Since this is such a hot topic on force fetch thread, let's start its own thread instead of ruining others. Here we go. Which breed is the most versatile bird dog? Big Smile
Displaying 11 to 20 of 32 posts
5/15/14 @ 9:55 AM
foosdog
foosdog
User since 12/19/01
Love the picture DLAMA...
5/14/14 @ 3:24 PM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
User since 5/1/05
Wife wanted a Weim and I wanted a Chessy........we both got what we wanted and I hunt them both upland birds...grouse and pheasants. Nice thing about hunting with both of them is that once in a while I drop a bird out in the marsh and sometimes I do not know how deep it is. The Chessy comes in very handy. Not much of a fowl hunter.
Flushers/retrievers vs pointers and
5/13/14 @ 4:28 PM
fshnuts
User since 6/12/06
I am a Springer guy too. I have had a number of them and hunt only grouse and woodcock the last 15 years or so. Just a couple times on pheasants. I like their personality both in the field and at home as well as the good nose and endurance they have. Awesome dogs.
5/13/14 @ 10:54 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I'm with Hawkeye and the AWS. Nice dual purpose dog (upland and waterfowl). Still very rare so they tend to have less health issues. IMO, they are better suited to hunting waterfowl in the northern states vs. the Boykin because the AWS has a double coat similar to a Chessie. Handle cold water better than a Boykin - which is one of the reasons Boykins are more popular in the south. Biggest issue is they are burr magnets!
4/28/14 @ 2:32 PM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
User since 4/4/05
Somebody asked me once what is my favorite dog and I said "A GOOD one!!!" Agreed...And life is too short to hunt behind a bad one ;) For what I like to do, nothing beats a setter or pointer. They are versatile enough for me. JMO
4/28/14 @ 2:23 PM
Jeff Lemmenes
PRO MEMBER User since 5/21/10
I have many dogs:Labs,Shorthairs,GWP,Small Munsterlander,Bavarian Mountain sent hound,English Setters,Treeing walker coonhounds,Beagles,Great Dane,Jackrat,They are all good dogs. They all have talents that have been bred into them. I like to do many different things with my dogs, and a lab is not a coondog! My point is get a dog that will enjoy doing the things you like to do. Somebody asked me once what is my favorite dog and I said "A GOOD one!!!"
4/27/14 @ 7:59 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
by the way hawkeye that american water spaniel is a nice looking dog. i've been looking to get another dog to accompany my lab and have been looking at a lot of the spaniel breeds
4/27/14 @ 7:58 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
i like all bird dogs and am not into the "competition" people create between breeds and which is the best. get what fits your lifestyle the best and makes you happy.
4/27/14 @ 3:55 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
Been watching this thread. Really thought there would be more by now. I think 1fowl said it best. There is no one breed that will be the best at it all. Could teach my Plotts to flush birds, but not bird dogs. You could teach a Lab to chase bear,but not bear dogs. It all comes down to what you hunt, and where you hunt it. Then comes down to personal preference. to the breed that fits your most common scenario. In the end enjoy as much time in the field with whatever works for you!!! You got to feed it not me!!
4/26/14 @ 8:38 PM
bass master$
bass master$
User since 2/19/08
Justdriftn.. seeing how u dont like labs or American water spaniel. What is your dog of choice?
Displaying 11 to 20 of 32 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE