Flushers/retrievers vs pointers and "versatiles"

4/24/14 @ 11:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ditch parrot
Ditch parrot
USER since 4/18/14
Since this is such a hot topic on force fetch thread, let's start its own thread instead of ruining others. Here we go. Which breed is the most versatile bird dog? Big Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
11/3/14 @ 3:57 PM
Mik
Mik
USER since 3/28/08
I'm really enjoying my current 4-1/2 yo GSP. A motor that goes all day when out hunting with prey drive in spades and the most mellow excellent family house pet when not hunting. I prefer single coat, short hair dogs as I only hunt grouse, woodcock, and pheasant and it sure is nice havin him cleaned up and dried off in a matter of a half hour. Sure makes tick checks pretty easy as well. Great hunting partner and Family pet sure am glad we found Thunderhead kennels ( http://www.thunderheadgsps.com) when we were searchin for a new dog. I've had Weimaraners in the past as well...Hard to beat the GSP or Weimaraner breeds for what I hunt and what I like in a dog.

Edited on 11/3/14 3:57 PM
Post Your Comment
11/3/14 @ 2:20 PM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
I have one of those Labradoodle things though he doesn't look it, straight hair and square lab head. The wife wanted him, I gave him a job. He is, believe it or not, a natural pointer, every so often he gets excited and fires through his point but he is the best bird dog I have ever hunted over, theres been a good number of them. That said though, I only hunt upland with a dog. The few times I do the waterfowl thing we all get our own birds. He is my buddy at home and my hunting partner in the field.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
5/22/14 @ 12:33 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14
I'll second that!GoldenRules. Great in the field and excellent family dogs. Never, ever, ever have to worry about her being agressive to young children or other dogs. I do shave my golden periodically thru the summer fall months to help with burrs, ticks, etc. Shaving keeps her looking like a pup.

Post Your Comment
5/21/14 @ 3:56 PM
Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 12:06 PM
GoldenRules
GoldenRules
USER since 10/29/13
All the dogs mentioned are great dogs and having any kind of dog is better than having no dog at all. I really can't imagine not having a good companion to share the success and failures of a hunt with. That being said, I vote for a Golden Retriever. Mine does great in the duck blind and can tolerate the colder temps that late season brings. He also does a very good job on pheasants and grouse. It's really fun seeing him lock in on a sent trail of a bird and flush it from cover. The best part of the golden retriever is that all of the days you are not in field with him he is your best friend at home and they really think they are a member of the family. I will acknowledge that they require some extra grooming after a day in the field but somethings in life are worth some extra effort. Smile

Post Your Comment
5/19/14 @ 12:52 PM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
USER since 4/4/05
Call Tom at Dale Creek and leave a message. Not sure if they are on the ground now or just coming up.

Post Your Comment
5/19/14 @ 12:32 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
I would second Hawkeye - Dale Creek. My dog came from a breeding of two Nighthawk Kennel dogs, but I see that the owners of Nighthawk retired. Tom at Dale Creek is a great guy and breeds some good dogs. My next would likely from from him.

I've also heard good things about Swan Lake Kennels by Pardeeville, but I've never had any experience with any of their dogs.

Post Your Comment
5/16/14 @ 7:34 PM
hawkeye#1
hawkeye#1
USER since 1/10/02
Try dale creek gundogs pretty sure has a litter on the ground now that's where I got mine from

Post Your Comment
5/16/14 @ 5:01 PM
lad 8
lad 8
USER since 5/4/08
Dude looking for an American water spaniel , can you help me?

Post Your Comment
5/15/14 @ 11:16 PM
hallpass
hallpass
USER since 7/6/01
My first hunting dog was a female Chesapeake. She was an exceptional water dog, but also did great in the field as a flusher that would work in close and always check back for me. Beyond that, she would always bring in the newspaper, even if it got pitched under a car in the drive, and would likely rip off any intruder's arm, if she were given the opportunity.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts