dog training, pup accomplishments, etc...

4/27/14 @ 9:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Or anything hunting dog?..... I am really enjoying the whole puppy thing and training this time? I don't have that feeling like its a job, its really turned into a hobby for my son and I. We put the river fishing, bow fishing, and hiking to the side, so we can spend more time training. Im even not embarrassed to say.. the family and I bring the pup to the pet store to get supplies. Yea, i turned into one of those people(great for leash work). So I would like to talk, read, see and post anything bout hunting dogs.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 60 Posts
1/4/15 @ 9:20 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Got out to bong Saturday with a couple fellas and the dogs. Set up a couple marks and ran out a 125yd line drill to a blind. It felt good to be out and the pup must've been enjoying herself also. She ran the line drill out to 90yds strong, needed one cast on the 100yd line, and fell apart on the 110. But I was thrilled with her runs, I was expecting issues @80yds. It was a great morning... Hey Delta00, did you make a decision, pick a pup?

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 2:42 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Now that the hunting season is over, back to training. Set up some 75yd double marks today and worked on the Wagon wheel drill. Also, looking for a opinion.. My pup is a HRC started title retriever. She is running season title work well (blinds, honoring, walk ups, etc.) I'm kicking around starting upland training with her this January. But a couple guys are telling me, that would be a bad move. "Upland is on the ragged edge of out of control, come spring she won't run a straight line on a blind, she'll be hunting and she's to young, her obedience will fall apart." I was planning on running season tests in Spring, possibly get a finished pass by late summer? So now these guys got me nervous about doing any upland training this winter? Anyone have a opinion?

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 3:54 PM
dcsnick1
dcsnick1
USER since 4/8/08
The season started slow for my Llewellin puppy, but she turned it on the last month. 9 months old and pointing great and honoring as well. Need to work on retrieving this winter. My 1 yr old Gordon was game on from day 1 and only got better. But I'm very happy with her and her sister and how they did in their first season.

Post Your Comment
12/17/14 @ 5:38 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Sheepdog explained that well. Only thing I might add would be, set a standard now. When the pup comes to your side (on heel command) make sure your pups front legs are even with your. Not in front or behind yours. This will help you and the pup as you get into more advanced training. Also, heel, will be a command for your pup to move "backwards". Not sure what stage of training your at, but its never to early to start the "four corners" drill. Its best to teach/correct things now, than letting them pick up bad habits. That's words from the wise, I'm working on re teaching something right now. Instead of moving forward. But a hunting season will do that to a pup. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 2:18 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
USER since 5/22/12
Here means move towards me now until I tell you to stop and do something else, or let the dog come to either a front sit or in the heel position if I point to my side. Heel means get to my side and stay put there until released whether we're moving around or staying in one spot. Those are the basics and they change once you get into handling your dog. As for water dog, in its day it was considered an excellent training book. However, now it's dated and there is a lot better material out there. You absolutely can train a good meat dog using it, but it's very limited for advanced handling. Training systems such as Total Retriever Training, Smartworks, Fowl Dawgs, and Duck Dog Basics are much better options in my opinion. A good puppy program such as Sound Beginnings, Hillmans or Van Egens programs get them started and ready for one of the other training programs. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 7:30 AM
breal
breal
USER since 10/12/10
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have been training my dog by the information and tactics out of the Water dog book. I am having a hard time deciphering when to use the command HERE and HEEL. What is the difference exactly?

Post Your Comment
11/7/14 @ 10:23 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
My pup got some real tough training, first time this season she had to honor another pup and take turns. In a real hunt situation, out of her boat. I bet she thought it was the worst day of training ever. She got to watch Zee, a less than two year old, finished title retriever, get some birds. I really enjoyed watching, gives me the inspiration to keep pushing on with training. Zee got to skip Tulla once and take a 75yd+ blind on a buffy. Watching Zee get handled around long lines, through some clump of floating crap, around some cattails to the bird. Just awesome!

Post Your Comment
11/1/14 @ 8:55 AM
delta00
delta00
USER since 6/3/13
Horicon retriever club. Funny cause I'm just south of ironwood michigan right now. Got the same memo you did and yes ducks are here! Talk later. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
10/30/14 @ 9:50 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Delta, my apologies for the late response. It's been a crazy week, I have been on a mission to wrap up loose ends. Heading to the U.P early tomorrow morning. My pops called, said the mallards moved in and are thick in flooded timber. May be interesting, or by the way it looks, may be iced up by the time I get there? Anyways, I'll PM you when I get home, we can touch base next week. What's your local club?

Post Your Comment
10/30/14 @ 11:00 AM
barkerdog
barkerdog
USER since 9/9/05
Finished my Brit on both sides and ran well at the gundog Nationals. Now its time for her to just be a hunting dog for a few months before trial season starts again

Edited on 10/30/14 11:11 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 60 Posts