Dog food brands for hunting dogs

2/7/15 @ 8:17 AM
ORIGINAL POST
gypedandryped
gypedandryped
USER since 1/26/07
Which is your favorite dog food brand for and Adult and puppy hunting dogs?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
7/15/16 @ 10:02 AM
velocity
velocity
USER since 5/12/16

I have a 4.5 yr. old GSP that threw up in the car several times when she was a pup. I have had her on California Natural Lamb and Rice for about 4 years and she seems to do well on it. Good energy level, no throwing up (except when she eats grass. What the hell is that about?!) and her stool is good. 

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 2:11 PM
fshnuts
fshnuts
USER since 6/12/06
My pick is Taste of the Wild. Grain free and both dogs do well on it. Plenty of energy.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 5:56 PM
prairielkscot
prairielkscot
USER since 12/21/11
I got an English Shorthaired Pointer as a pup about a year and a half ago and like that breed is known for, he shed pretty bad. At about 5 months old I switched him to Fromm's and the shedding really decreased and his energy level is over the top.

Post Your Comment
1/16/16 @ 6:54 AM
HardCore Walleye
HardCore Walleye
USER since 4/17/08
Same as Hunter of Ducks, I feed American Natural Premium. Made locally here in Wisconsin and never had recalls like some of the bigger brand names. My Lab loves the stuff! $38 for a 40lb bag.

Post Your Comment
12/7/15 @ 5:53 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04
1cast I would agree!!! However for some reason rice is not considered a grain. Dont know why!!

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 12:54 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Anything with rice is not grain free. Switched one of my shepherd lbs to Orijen. Made in Canada but I am happy with it so far. My younger shepherd is still on Fromm. He can't digest his own food and needs a food with under % 4 fiber and Fromm is just that.

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 9:02 AM
hunterofducks
hunterofducks
USER since 8/1/03
I feed American Natural Premium, my lab is doing great and his coat and energy level is fantastic. I can't say he eats less of this food or it could be because I have only one dog now from 3 a few months ago.

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 6:53 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04
Folks really need to take a good look at their feeds again!!! Companies are changing things without telling you. Many have started using soy again. This is bad in many ways. Alfalfa is another ingriedent being substituted. Just as bad soy!

No corn No wheat No soy No alfalfa is a start!! Read your labels. Cost per back may be more. But you feed less so it does work out!!

I'm feeding Nutrisource Chicken & Rice a grain free product. Costs twice as much, but a feed a least half as much as before!!

Post Your Comment
11/29/15 @ 5:24 PM
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
USER since 6/4/12
I'm aware it's an old thread... but I feed fromm aswell. My dogs coat and build are phenomenal with it. We adopted him... lab pointer mix. And he has auch shinier coat and it pure muscle. I believe the food did much good for him.

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 3:35 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
I feed Fromm Salmon Tunalini grain free. All his treats are Fromm grain free. Expensive stuff, but worth every penny. My 50 lb. AWS eats 2 cups/day so it tends to go further than lower quality foods. Based on my experiences with pets developing food allergies, my dogs will always be grain free from the word go. My theory is the extra you spend on food is made up in vet savings. True or not, I can't ever know. What I do know is that I sleep well knowing my best bud is fed top shelf food.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts