Dog Being Put Down

3/18/14 @ 9:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
My heart goes out to your family. Its easily the single toughest thing about dogs, they are destined to break hearts. I'm still tore up after putting my last dog down 2 years ago. Remember all the good times! I personally find the best thing to help deal with it is to start over. After my last loss, I decided to wait before getting another. It led to a solid year of depression, I will NEVER wait to get another dog again. Best of luck in dealing with such a tough situation....my heart is with you. Crying
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
12/4/14 @ 2:29 PM
fshnuts
fshnuts
USER since 6/12/06
That's tough. I have been there and because I love the bond and friendship canines offer I will be there again. Remember the good times!!

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 6:34 PM
watspan
watspan
USER since 8/3/12
Losing a beloved pet is always tough. I believe state law requires a licensed Veterinarian to perform the euthanasia. In any case, I certainly would never want my last memory of my pet being pulling a trigger on him. My Dad was a Vet and I worked several years at an emergency clinic and assisted in numerous procedures. It is instantaneous, painless and dignified.

Post Your Comment
11/10/14 @ 6:27 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I'm the same as you Cold Front, do it yourself, as hard as it is.

Post Your Comment
11/8/14 @ 5:36 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Still have the meds if anyone can use them!

Post Your Comment
11/7/14 @ 4:11 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
It's been 18 years since I had to put my 15 year old lab down. Out of respect for him, I did it myself. It was just me and and him at the end, just like most of our hunting trips. Hardest thing I have ever done. I am not sure that is the best way for me/ the owner, but I hope it was the best for him. I am not suggesting that anyone else should or shouldn't do this. Heck, I am not sure how that is looked upon in today's world but it seemed like the right thing to do then. I probably will never own another dog for other reasons but my heart goes out to all of you that have to deal with putting an old friend down. It is still tough to think about it. Mrt.

Edited on 11/7/14 4:12 PM
Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 10:05 AM
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Remie lost his battle with kidney failure yesterday. We have a 15 day supply of his medication left, free to anyone who can use it. About 3 oz. of Epakitin and 45 (smaller capsules) of Azodyl. We live in S. Walworth county. Message if you're interested.

Post Your Comment
4/24/14 @ 5:34 PM
dcsnick1
dcsnick1
USER since 4/8/08
By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together

When I read this I always have a good cry and think of my 2 girls I lost last year. Its good to know that we will all be reunited with our beloved pets when we go.

Edited on 4/24/14 5:37 PM
Post Your Comment
4/23/14 @ 9:27 PM
Fritz
Fritz
USER since 6/27/01
RR,

Try to get home and spend a little time. If you can't, your buddy will forgive you.

Putting your buddy down is the hardest decision a dog owner has to make. I have been there several times. Looking back, I know they were the correct decisions for my best friends.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Fritz

btw - it is hard to type with tears in your eyes.

Post Your Comment
4/21/14 @ 8:37 PM
Shoot Straight
Shoot Straight
USER since 10/31/06
RR I hear yeah- Thoughts n prayers man

Post Your Comment
4/21/14 @ 6:30 PM
buckhound
buckhound
USER since 4/18/06
It's tough to do but think of it as doing a loving last act for your buddy.I'm guessing it's a health issue at 14 yrs. Been there a couple times but it doesn't get easier.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts