My wife brought our 5 year old Airedale to the vet yesterday for his annual checkup. When the vet went to check his teeth, he resisted her so my wife tried to help and he resisted mommy too so they knew something was wrong. When they finally were able to get his mouth open, the vet saw what she thought was a cracked tooth. He’s scheduled to go under next Wednesday for a cleaning and to either repair or extract the cracked tooth. Depending on what the vet needs to do, it could cost anywhere from $250-600. The strange thing is that he was eagerly gnawing on an antler the night before his appointment and was back at it again last night while we were watching TV. He doesn’t appear to be favoring one side of his mouth over the other. I’m not 100% convinced that this doggy dental visit is necessary. Anyone have experience with this?

Our last dog made it to just over 14 years old and we never had his teeth cleaned and I don’t really recall the vet even checking them. We just got the chicken flavored toothpaste and finger brush for when his breath would get bad.