LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Cabelas dog training collars Good or Bad??????

6/16/09 @ 7:17 PM
INITIAL POST
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
PRO MEMBER User since 7/3/06
I am looking for my first electronic dog training collar and I was referred to the Cabelas GS 5000 and GS6000 series by a few people. My question is does anyone own one or can anyone make a recomendation for a good collar that has the following features: visual low level battery indicator, 1/2 mile range or less, waterproof, audible tone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
8/16/18 @ 9:16 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I bought a dogtra.  Works great but i'm not super pleased on the battery life.  I have the 1900S.   I had a TriTronics with my other dog for 11 years,  battery was still good after all that time.  

I don't think anything is made as good as it once was.

So I think buying a cabelas collar would be fine.  You won't get anything better anywhere else.  I'd go for it,  especially if it's a bit cheaper and maybe a better warranty.  If I'd do it again,  knowing the battery life of my Dogtra (about 48 hours),  i'd buy a cheapo Sportdog from Fleet and throw it away if it went bad after couple years.

My TriTronics lasted a week on one charge.  I leave the collars on but rarely use them.  My current dog I haven't had to buzz him or use a shock in months.  It just goes on and stays on him till it dies.  I'm charging it every other day.

8/12/18 @ 9:57 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
User since 11/3/08

In various dog circles that I've been in, the saying was there are only 2 makes of e-collar, Dogtra and Tritronic. I'm sure there are other brands that are decent, I've only used Dogtra.

8/12/18 @ 8:12 AM

You can recognition at the dog into the auto onto a prepping desk over hops or into the right role for gaiting or stacking. you may put the goal upright in the ground to train the puppy to go away from you with the objective. Stick you can teach many traps and beneficial aptitudes as an instance shutting an entryway. Turning a mild activate and stale, and recuperating articles via name. The only approach to train a canine to loop around a goal STICK.

FOR more information click the link below ...................

http://dogstrainingtools.com/2018/04/30/target-stick-dog-tricks-target-stick-tips-useful-train-dog/

6/19/09 @ 12:42 PM
TY 4
User since 3/11/05
Originally Posted by swamp_runner: I run and innotek collar. However the great thing about cabelas brand anything is they stand behind that product 100%. This is not the case after a year or so with other products. I would very seriously consider a cabelas brand…………….Before you post false information you may want to do so research on your information. First Innotek is made in China and their warranty from the company is only one year from the time of purchase. As far as Tri-Tronics they stand behind their product 100%, and you have a 2 year warranty with them if ANY parts or electronic components fail from the time of purchase. And again, their made in the U.S.A.

6/19/09 @ 9:00 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
I would agree with Zones on this one too. Whatever collar you use, be gentle and judicious with that button. My brother in law has a great pointer. She hunts like a champ when I take her out alone without him. When he is along, and that collar is on, the dog won't leave his side for fear of getting fried.

6/18/09 @ 10:37 PM
Baggs
Baggs
User since 6/16/01
I've got a Dogtra collar that I bought 7 years ago and it was a reconditioned one when I bought it. Other than replacing the rechargable batteries in the collar and sending unit, It has been flawless.

6/18/09 @ 9:10 PM
swamp_runner
swamp_runner
User since 1/5/02
I run and innotek collar. However the great thing about cabelas brand anything is they stand behind that product 100%. This is not the case after a year or so with other products.

I would very seriously consider a cabelas brand.

6/18/09 @ 4:05 PM
zones4
zones4
User since 6/18/01
I am with the group on this one. I have a 10 year old TriTronic collar and used it when I got to train the dog the first year and last year pulled it out to let a guy train his dog and just charged it and put fresh batteries in the remote and no issues. Problem is just cause you can zap a dog a mile out does not mean you should. I came across a guy two years back pushing his button like crazy at Jackson Marsh. I asked him if something is wrong and he said he lost his dog. Which was sitting next to his vehicle on the ground shaking. The dog went for a bird and the guy went into the woods thinking that is where the dog went to. the dog actually lost the owner and ran back a mile to the truck. Reason I know this is my brother and I parked next to this guy and saw the dog in pain and the collar light RED meaning it was going off. My brother and I took the collar of the dog and the dog was fine in a minute but the collar kept going off every few seconds. I set out for this yahoo and confronted him. Needles to say he was in complete shock himself special when he got back to his vehicle to see his dog PLUS the dog had the pheasant next to the truck. The guy walked about fifty feet into the field and shot the controller and the collar. Which my brother said "crap I would took the collar". if you have the long distance collar and you can't see the dog sometimes pushing it is only going to make things worse.

Zones4

6/17/09 @ 8:00 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
I used a Cabela's/Innotek collar with a tone or shock option for two years on my dog with no problems at all. Used it in wet, dry, warm, cold conditions. It made no difference. The collar worked as advertised. When I got my wiemaraner a year and a half ago, I picked up a Dogtra 2 dog system with a 3/4 mile effective range. The Dogtra is definitely a higher quality product and I don't I'd go back to the Cabela's brand for a replacement unless cost became the primary concern. I gave my old collar to a relative for their dog. They had no problems with it either.
6/17/09 @ 5:13 PM
Kickenbass
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/06
The Ecollar is the last thing you want to skimp on. Buying a top of the line collar used is better than buying cheap new. You said 1/2 mile range. 1/2 mile range is on flat ground with out interference. Go for one with a mile or more you never know when you'll need to reach out and touch them.

6/17/09 @ 1:04 PM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
User since 4/4/05
the last thing I will add to this is that if you do go with the Cabela's brand (for whatever reason) Cabelas itself, as a retailer, is very good about standing behind their products...but I would rather start with a tried and tested recommended product like TT.

6/17/09 @ 1:00 PM
mike51098
User since 1/10/08
I have two dogs and talked with several trainers about training collar brands. I know Cabelas are made by innotek. Most people I talk to are not recommending Innotek.

They have recommended Dogtra and Tri-tronics most often.

6/17/09 @ 11:15 AM
LEDGEVIEW SETTERS
User since 3/26/08
I think the ones for Cabela's are made from Pet safe (old innotek) which i have tried with lots of problems, i keep going back to the tried and true of Tritronics, but the Dogstra beeper trainer does intrigue me it has the beeper /reciever under the neck (all one piece) one of my dislikes of all the other units the collar aways rotates on the neck,no matter what i do .

6/17/09 @ 8:13 AM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
User since 4/4/05
Let me begin this by stating...I have never used a Cabelas brand dog collar. I would tend to agree with Ty and FWork that TriTronics would be my first choice. I have used and abused them (and their customer service dept.) and they have stood the test of time and abuse. Now to find one with the options you are looking at should not be to tough. Look at the TT site or PM Ty, I bet he could help ya.

I like the idea of the "low battery" visual...Ty is that on any of the TT collars?

6/16/09 @ 10:24 PM
TY 4
User since 3/11/05
Dogtra and Tri-Tronics lead the industry in manufacture and sales of e-collars. I've been a TT's dealer and user of their products for years with no problems and great customer service. Do yourself/dog a favor invest in quality. And their made in the USA!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE