BLASTO

12/15/14 @ 11:49 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02
has anybody ever treated their dog for blasto, just looking for info and experiences that you may have encountered. thanks all for any help.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
9/8/15 @ 10:30 AM
MallardAbuse
MallardAbuse
USER since 11/18/04
It is from a fungus, not a virus.

Post Your Comment
9/7/15 @ 6:15 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Wolf and Little Wolf has been a hot spot for blasto this year....never heard of the beaver thing. It's a spore that is inhaled.

Post Your Comment
9/7/15 @ 5:32 PM
lad 8
lad 8
USER since 5/4/08
Thought I would share. My 20 year old grandson went to the doctor for feeling that he had the flu, doctor told him he contacted Blasto. The family was on a raft trip on the Wolf out of New London, he went on land to go relieve himself. Will be on meds for more then six months. He said the doctor said he thinks the virus comes from Beaver urine. Anybody else hear of this happening.

Post Your Comment
5/11/15 @ 1:19 PM
Penquin42
Penquin42
USER since 2/14/12
Tileguy,

It is most likely the Blasto made the dog go blind as it can commonly do that.

Post Your Comment
5/10/15 @ 7:01 PM
Tileguy
Tileguy
USER since 3/7/07
My friend had a black and tan coon hound get blasto in oconto county The medication made it go blind. Don't know for sure if it was the cause but thats what he told me

Post Your Comment
5/9/15 @ 9:41 PM
Penquin42
Penquin42
USER since 2/14/12
I am a veterinarian in Port Washington, WI. Blasto is a disease that is very difficult to treat but can be treated successfully if caught early. It is also expensive as the generic medications do not always work for all dogs so I recommend the name brand medications.

A great link to more information on Blasto can be found here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2256 I know Vilas county etc is a hot spot. We also see it around the kettles etc.

Edited on 5/11/15 1:21 PM
Post Your Comment
1/2/15 @ 8:41 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09
Sandy soil regions are common for it as well. We think our female Black picked it up in the Lacrosse area in early fall. Dry conditions.

She was a digger as a pup. Which we figured how she contracted the fungal infection. If your pup likes to dig, i'd change that real quick.

Post Your Comment
1/1/15 @ 9:15 AM
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
From what I know, Blasto is all over, especially where there is low water and shorelines are able to have the spores come out? I winter in the Tomorrow River watershed which is a hotspot. I think it is more prevalent when not froze or snow?

Post Your Comment
12/31/14 @ 6:04 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I have heard that the far north east part of the state is kind of a hot spot....vilas, forest, Oneida etc. I'm from shawano and there are plenty of cases around here too.

Post Your Comment
12/31/14 @ 5:49 AM
bbasil
bbasil
USER since 10/24/12
Is Blasto found all over the state? What areas specifically do you think your dogs contracted it? Can you get it all times of the year other than winter?

Thanks

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts