What's your favorite stink bait.

11/9/15 @ 9:10 AM
ORIGINAL POST
WillCFish
WillCFish
USER since 4/6/11
Stink baits work well for catfish. Here's a nice cat caught on a dip bait.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
11/17/15 @ 1:41 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I have been playing with scent additives like I mentioned. There is a time and place for it. When bait is at a premium it seems to work pretty well to take it off the hook after a couple stops and put it into a leak proof container with an additive like Scent Trail for a half hour or so then put it back on the hook for another go.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 11:37 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
"Stink bait in my world is pretty much just that, STINK. I avoid the stuff as much as I can, however sometimes I get guide customers who want eater fish and it does work pretty good for that if you can get it to stay on the hook in the current".

I was just referring to the latter half of your statement. That is why I said "they seem" and not "you seem". I know very well you don't personally use treble hooks from your videos.

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 9:46 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
If that last comment was aimed at me I DO NOT use treble hooks because we turn almost everything back. I am not interested in deep hooking a big fish and having to cut it or kill the fish.

I always say our fish have class and won't eat that garbage and that is why I use cut baits and frogs.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 1:59 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
You mention they seem to have problems keeping the bait on the hook. I'm assuming their using dough bait and putting it on a treble hook instead of a catfish worm/surgical tubing?

Post Your Comment
11/10/15 @ 2:43 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
Stink bait in my world is pretty much just that, STINK. I avoid the stuff as much as I can, however sometimes I get guide customers who want eater fish and it does work pretty good for that if you can get it to stay on the hook in the current.

As far as stink goes I some of the additives as a marinade. Last year we had great luck taking sucker off the hook and marinating it in Rippin Lips Scent Trail for an hour or so and put it back out.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
11/9/15 @ 11:45 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
Bowkers was the bait everyone used when I started fishing. Nowadays, there is so many of them its hard to keep track. Catfish Charlie made a flavor called Big Muddy (I called it the orange bait, each of their flavors had a different color container) that did very well for me. For some reason, it had a short life span and disappeared.

I live in the heart of stink bait country and we have a lot of good local brands such as G&S, M&M and the defunct TJ's, which I've heard the maker has turned down some pretty lucrative offers for the recipes. People in my boat do well with Sonny's. I make my own blood bait and in 2011 I would have probably won the manufactured tourney but I lost my anchor. 10 Fish weigh in that 32 pounds won. I had 7 for 27 pounds with my 3 best spots up my sleeve. Crying

My bait likes it hot and sunny so this time of year I use the Shad flavor from Catfish Charlie. It's stays easy to use even in cold weather and does well when the water temps are 39 to about 60. It really falls off fast after temps get into 60's in May and has just started to get on fire again.

Post Your Comment