What Did you Learn?

12/9/15 @ 9:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I stole this topic from the musky forum but thought it would be interesting here too. What did we all learn about catfish in 2015? There is a lot that we forget or learn with time on the water. For Me: 1. Never underestimate how shallow a catfish will go 2. Catfish are not afraid to move 1/4 to a mile for a meal 3. Believe what you electronics are telling you Lets hear what you all learned.
Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
10/31/16 @ 10:07 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16

I learned a couple things this year.  #1 I learned at what point the dam downstream of us goes under water and how long it takes for fish to pass it and get to my stretch.  Four days is the answer.

I also learned that having a solid map of smaller holes available to you can really speed up the process of fishing and moving and keeps you off the obvious beaten path.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/26/16 @ 6:43 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I have mentioned that I have been doing a lot of writing this off season. I was going through some stuff and it hit me the next thing for me to learn is simplicity. Not necessarily getting away from everything I have learned but streamlining it and making the system more simple.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/23/16 @ 2:07 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
99% of the time that section is excellent. It was just that one day that was strange.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 7:07 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
Not every section of river is created equal. We have a section of river here that if the water is low to normal you may as well drive right by because you are wasting your time. If it is high water the section in unreal good. Some sections fish well some times of year and some other times of year.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 3:14 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
Here's a situation that irritates me.

I take a buddy fishing last May out on the Rock. Weather/water levels are stable. The first two miles the fish are everywhere and aggressive. The next two...absolutely nothing. The final two miles are a repeat of the first two. The spots we fished were fundamentally the same throughout the trip.

So what happened in the middle? No fish or negative fish? Knowing the abundance of Channel Cats in the Rock I can't believe there were no fish, however, the thought that all the fish went into sleep mode is hard for me to fathom.

Post Your Comment
12/24/15 @ 11:12 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
As they say in real estate, location, location, location. I never saw a year were boat placement was so critical. Several times one person would just clobber the other person on the other side of the boat in terms of fish caught. These spots all had one variable in common. I saw a small obstruction on the SI in an area rather devoid of structure. Apparently, a small area can really stack a bunch of fish during certain times.

Post Your Comment
12/9/15 @ 1:28 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
#1 reminded me of my biggest catfish from the wading days. It came from ankle deep water. I remember watching the smallmouths swim with their backs basically out of the water so they could set up shop behind the bigger rocks that were sticking out of the water.

Post Your Comment