MORE
Catfish Fishing

Rock River channel cats

11/25/14 @ 10:52 PM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Guys, did any of you struggle this year with the larger channels? I fished the same areas this past summer as in other years and never did catch a nice channel cat. Just lots of little males around a pound or so. I used Sonny's mainly, and sometimes Junie's with similar results. I figured it was the long cold winter and spring. I fish above Fort Atkinson and have always caught plenty of hogs up there. I moved around a lot (boat fishing) and never got into any good ones. Did they stay in the lake (Koshkonong)?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 47 posts
4/25/18 @ 7:49 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Spring has sprung! Finally. Today after work I stopped at a bridge about 10 minutes from the house. I had to wait for em but they finally started hitting. Caught 5, releasing a 10# fish. The rest were nice 2-4 lb eaters. They are bleeding out in the cooler as I type this. Interestingly, all of the fish bit in one very distinct spot, at the end of a big snag just below the bridge. Anything in the middle of the snag went untouched. They started biting about 5:30, and bit fast and furious til 6:15. All on Sonny's as usual.

Jimmy

4/23/17 @ 9:21 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12

My dad finally got a 10# out of the Rock today. He caught it on the homemade blood bait that I told him not to use it because of the water temp of 59.3.

4/16/17 @ 9:06 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Hit the usual mid-April spots (snags) and caught about 20 catfish. Nothing over 4 lb. I tried cut-bait, dead minnows, shrimp and Sonny's. Sonny's took every bite. I think it's because the fish were on the small side. I usually do much better on cut-bait at night in the summer holes. The river is a little high but in fine shape. Water temp 57. Gonna try to make it out there one more time before they spawn. Cheers.

On a side note, I was the only one that I could see fishing cats. Everybody else was chasing post-spawn eyes. I know that is not the case on other parts of the Rock, especially down in Illinois.

Jimmy

2/26/17 @ 8:26 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Managed one 5 lb male channel today on the Rock up here in cheesehead land. He hit on stink bait (Sonny's). I tried crawlers, minnows and redworms too. The only bites I got were on Sonny's. Water was 35 degrees. First time I ever caught a channel in water this cold. Hoping March is even warmer and I can tie into a few more. Got my only hookup in a classic spot. Deep quiet eddy with lots of shoreline structure and a gravelly flat nearby. Got lots of nibbles and only hooked up the one. The season has officially started!!

10/18/16 @ 11:12 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I am hoping to squeeze in one more flathead trip this Sunday (my only day off as per usual). It has been surprisingly warm the last few days which should have pushed the river temp up over the 60 degree mark. Now a few cold nights will drop it down, just hoping not too far down. I have some coworker friends who want to get in on the flattie action but they also only have one day off and plans with significant others. Gonna be me and the dog again. I will post a report with pics if I do get out. The die-hard walleye jiggers focus on the mouth of Koshkonong so I usually have the stretch I fish all to myself.

10/17/16 @ 12:13 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12

Vacations over and its back to work today. My October has been wonderful as its tied with July for 2nd stat wise and with a few good days could dethrone September for the best month. I would have scoffed at this possibility decades ago.

I'm really happy with this because July was very predictable and stable. October not so. What was working one day would prove to be almost worthless the next day. The fish were on the move and aggressive. The good thing was they would eat just about anything.

Disappointedly, August was a disaster. The Rock is saturated with tournaments at that time of year so I would normally shift to the Mississippi. Mother Nature basically had the Mississippi shut down with high water this year so I tried to form a schedule on the Rock to avoid the tournaments. I failed miserably. Every boat ramp I went to August had one going on. By the end of the month, I was ready to sell boat and give up.  The catfish scene on the Rock is starting to resemble the bass fishing on the Mississippi. The fishery is dictated by a small group of tournament fishermen.

10/13/16 @ 11:13 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12

We made it down to 35 degrees last night so I'll have to see if this starts to kick the fish into more of a fall mode. I've been sitting in 4-6 feet of water above the rock bars and catching 2 to 3 at each one. Mostly on the local's cheesebait. My blood bait is still getting some. Surprisingly, they won't touch shad yet, and the smallmouth haven't gone on the crankbait feeding frenzy either.

The catfish must taste better in the upper Rock. I tried to eat some a decade ago and they were horrible. An occasional cat from pool 13 on the Mississippi is about the only catfish I eat any more.

7/13/16 @ 4:35 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Gonna try to find areas with current. Pretty much rules out the entire stretch I fish. Perhaps in town (Ft Atkinson). Just below the Main Street Bridge there is a bit more current though not very deep. I suspect it is no more than 5 feet at the deepest. The dam at Jefferson is good but not big enough to get a 16' deep vee up to. Kind of a shore spot that gets heavy pressure. I wonder if there are any rapids down by Janesville?

7/13/16 @ 1:15 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12

I will draw on my Mississippi experiences, since the Rock down here has rapids and plenty of current even during low water.

The fish will move to current. The bass and panfish will vacate the backwaters and head out to flowing sloughs. Catfish and Walleye will stack up in narrow and rock bottomed areas with faster currents. There aren't many of these spots and they are often rather subtle. I had a guy in the boat get 29 cats in 29 casts in 89 minutes under these conditions last August fishing a small rocky channel edge.

7/12/16 @ 6:27 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

OK fellas I am struggling. My last few trips to the Rock River have been awful at best. All the spots that normally produce for me are dead. I always use Sonny's and I always caught fish in these spots. It really went downhill 2 years ago when it got really hot for a week and the river temp got above 90 degrees. The fishing just hasn't been the same since. I usually try snags first, then the deeper holes in bends. There is very little current and the water temp is about 80 degrees now. If I fish with live bait all I catch are drum. It's an hour drive and the fishing closer to my house for other species has been stellar. What gives??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2/28/16 @ 5:17 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I would have to say Musky are scarce at best up here. I have never seen or caught one (a few pike though). I remember my Navy days fishing in Rockton at the dam and guys talked about catching them. That's the farthest north of you I have ever heard about them. Maybe they are coming in from another source?? I didn't get out and fish. Cleaning up and organizing tackle and drinking brewski's. Nice day to do outdoor stuff.
2/28/16 @ 8:56 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
Sounds like you have the location picked out. If you have any old bait in the freezer this is a good time of year to use old rotten baits. I will be working a sport show today. We have been warm, rivers should start breaking at the edges in a few days if this keeps up.
2/27/16 @ 1:18 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12
You have the location dialed in. The feeder creek will be icing on the cake. Hopefully, they are in the mood to eat. Off-topic. What's the muskie population like up there. Someone asked about them being in the Rockford area. Every time the Rock floods, they show up farther and farther down stream. It won't be long until they make down to the Mississippi.
2/27/16 @ 12:27 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Thanks for the tips 400. I have a spot picked out where a small feeder creek comes in and there is a large, dark flat. This is next to a bridge where there is deeper water. I figure to canvas all of these and narrow down the holding areas. Not used to shore fishing anymore, just too lazy to dig out the boat. Been working 6 days a week for a while now and just want to relax with a cold one and something tugging at the line. Supposed to be low to mid-fifties today and tomorrow so that helps.
2/27/16 @ 10:32 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12
They have been catching them on the Rock down here for some time now. If you can access a hole from shore, you'll be in business. The bait that works the best at ice out is red worms. They catch catfish by the hundreds during February/March this way. A flat that gets lots of afternoon sunshine and has low current by a hole is worth a look, however, I'd rather see water temps at least 40 for this. I like trolling with jigs and minnows for that scenario. Shad and shad based dip baits will also put fish in the boat. Good Luck!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 47 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE