River Channel Catfish

10/13/15 @ 9:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
Hello All, I have been on the board for years but recently have joined the pro staff. I am a channel catfish guide on the famous Red River out of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Catfishing is my life. I am one of the few full time professional catfishermen in the US. In the off season I work on pattern research from the previous season, write articles and sometimes books about catfishing. My goal is to make myself a better catfish guide and help people who enjoy catfishing to learn more and become better too. I wanted to start this topic for you to ask questions and share tips and tricks. I can learn from you as much as you from me. Thanks for having me. CaptainBrad
Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 40 Posts
1/22/16 @ 7:03 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
We are under ice and I could be trying to catch cats and walleyes through the ice but I am the school drop off and pick up as well as the after school program. I spend the off season writing and getting marketing stuff done for the summer and in Feb and March I hit the road speaking and work a few shows so I keep plenty busy.

This winter I put more research together and wrote an 2nd catfish book. It went in for final proof today.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 5:46 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Hey brad, what do you do with down time (winter)? Can you still fish channels in winter or does the river freeze up? I have a hard time getting cats to bite if the temp falls below 50.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 5:42 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Yeah, big water is a 2 hour drive for me (Wisconsin River). Just too far to spend any serious time fishing. Rock is 50 minutes. Closest river to me is the Fox, and that is very shallow. A lot of it is unfishable except for shore fishing. The Miss is 4 hours. I only get over there about once every 2-3 years. Work basically (unfortunately) consumes my life. That and only 10 days of paid vacation a year. Sigh. Wish I could find a job by the Mississippi that pays $$$! Crying

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 1:02 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
I need to get up and see the upper Rock someday. I crossed it a few times back when I was living in Wisconsin in my college days and it looked like a completely different animal than what I deal with down here. No problem finding current even when its low and snags don't matter to much as they get blasted down the river in short order for the most part. There is one stretch of river where I threw an 68 pound slab of concrete out and the boat just kept going downstream and you could hear/feel the thump...thump...thump ...of the concrete slab bouncing along the bottom.

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 9:58 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
You are right with structure and current. When our river gets low the trick is finding current. I never do well in the dead water but if I can find some current and some structure together I can find fish.

One thing I like in low water is if I can find a little current and hole that is 1-5 feed deep with the water running over it. It usually does not hold many fish but the ones it does are usually very nice.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 10:49 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
High water for me on the Rock. I am up here in cheese-head land and when the Rock gets low it almost stops flowing. The deepest holes (in high water) are 15-18 feet deep and they are few and far bewteen. They can get as low as 12-15 feet deep in the late summer and the current is almost non-existent. My best spots are always where there is good current and at least 3-5 fow with snags. I tried just fishing the channel during low water where there is very little structure and only get fiddlers.

Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 6:36 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
Oh I am pretty sneaky when the fish are up close to the ramp. I will only fish the area early in the morning or on week days when nobody is around.

After they finally put 2 and 2 together the fish have generally moved on or I have done what you say and switched ramps and sections of river all together.

Quite entertaining trying to stay ahead of the game. Advantage to running about 60 miles of river. I am looking to add 10-15 more miles now that another guide has moved out of one section.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 5:55 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
Time to be changin your tactics Brad. When there are eyes on you, find another landing! It's always frustrating to watch someone catch a fish and they net it on the opposite side or over the transom. Walleye fisherman are real suckers when you are catching cats and they believe them to be walleye. Drives 'em crazy!

Post Your Comment
12/27/15 @ 9:01 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I find your reference to fishing away the the ramp as comical.

You would not believe some of the fish I have caught within sight of the ramp and had dozens of people drive by me for a "better bite" further away.

At least around here away means 2-6 miles away so depending on the time of year I fish by the ramp or more than 6 miles away from it.

The problem with the close stuff any more is locals know move and know that if I am fishing by the ramp for more than a few minutes I'm onto something so I have to be sneaky sometimes.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
12/25/15 @ 11:55 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
My experience with the radio on is they hear some vibes , but this is only at night when I was after flatheads. If I listened to the radio, I would put a cushion under it and play it quiet. I have noticed flatheads dont care much for noise at night. One night I had a lot of waves slapping my boat from the wind. By midnight, I decided that was enough. I changed positions to get rid of the wave slapping. I caught a flathead 1/2 hour later and then a few more on an all nighter. I dont think it was coincidence . It was on the Wisconsin River and 12' hole is deep. A 40 ' hole may not have mattered at all though

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 40 Posts