SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

Late season flatheads

12/8/16 @ 3:45 PM
INITIAL POST
okauchee man
User since 5/27/08

Fished the Fox River at DePere, Monday 12/5/16.  Caught and released 10 flatheads.  The biggest were 39.5" (32 lbs), 37.75: and 37.5".  All on spinning rods with 10# test.  What a blast!  If I could do this every day I would quit muskie fishing.  Longtime members of the Okauchee Fishing Club (ofcfish.com).  Take a look at our website.  We are always welcoming anyone who wants to expand their fishing horizons.

Late season flatheads photo by okauchee man
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/24/17 @ 5:04 PM
okauchee man
User since 5/27/08

Out again on the Fox River at DePere12/1/17.  This was our 3rd trip catching only 5 flatheads up to 33" on previous 2 trips along with many walleyes and white bass.   Took a while to find them but once we did caught and released 14 flatheads in 4 hours.  Biggest were 39" (32lbs), 38" and 38".  Also took some smaller fish down to 26".  Nice to see different size fish, looks good for the future.  All on spinning tackle with 10# braid and a 10# fluoro leader.  Like I said last year this is better than muskie fishing.  You can't believe how they pull!  This is a great fishery, but it also needs to be taken care of.  Longtime members of the Okauchee Fishing Club.  Check us out at ofcfish.com.   We welcome everyone who likes to catch fish of all kinds in Wisconsin.

Late season flatheads photo by okauchee man
10/23/17 @ 10:51 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Got this one Saturday on the Rock near Fort Atkinson. 43" (length) x 27" (girth) 39 lb using weight calculator. Caught on a 6' ml St. Croix Avid with 8 lb PP and a 1/4 oz jig tipped a 4" sucker.

1/7/17 @ 9:15 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Okaucheman, those are some big cats. I used to fish for them but it is so hard to find naturally caught bait in the same water you are fishing. They make sissies out of muskies. And when you catch them when it is 80 degrees outside, they are just monsters. I have broken line up to 60 lb test and broke an 8/0 Eagleclaw 254N hook. I have broke Abu Garcia 6500 reels and a flathead one night made my Penn 209 useless one night. They most certainly bite in December, the Infisherman boys fish them quite a bit in late fall. They say they bite real good ( sometimes) I have never caught one between Sept and April however. 
12/12/16 @ 8:59 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06

Umm, yes, flatheads feed in cold water! I've caught them through the ice in February. They followed the bait up smoked it. Catfish do feed in the winter. 

12/8/16 @ 4:55 PM
muffstuffer
User since 1/15/09

Flatheads do not feed in water as cold as it is. Snagging fish is not something to brag about. Before you start arguing they were hooked in the mouth it is very easy to snag flathead in the mouth. No different then flossing salmon. 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE