MORE
Catfish Fishing

Largest Channel Cat

2/1/16 @ 5:33 PM
INITIAL POST
Love2fish21
Love2fish21
User since 12/8/09
What's the largest channel cat you've caught? My dad got a 25.8# over the weekend. Finally broke the 25# mark.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
9/1/17 @ 10:08 AM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02
I got this 34" a couple weeks ago.   I figured high teens.  What do you think about the weight?  
Largest Channel Cat photo by crawriverrat
5/8/16 @ 10:36 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16

You hit that one spot on.  I hear it all the time about all these 30 pounders being caught.  I usually say nothing but some times flat out say it didn't happen.  I boat literally tons of big channel cats per year and generally under estimate them but I know a 20 when I see it.  I have caught and seen a few 30s and they are something to behold.

5/4/16 @ 10:50 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I notice that a lot of people way over estimate their catfish.  Lot's of people say 25-30 LBs......well I don't think people realize how big a 30 lb channel is.  Most 18 to 20's are people's 25-30 pounders.  

I've fished cats for almost 20 years on the wolf river.  We catch 100's a year,  our biggest has been 22-23 lbs and they are in that 36-38 inch range.

Just pointing out the the fact that most aren't weighing cats are typically over estimate.  I don't weigh many cats anymore either,  I just know from 20 years of fishing them exclusively for few months.   When you weigh big cats,  they break scales.  I've destroyed 3 Berkley digital scales in my time.

I'm not calling anyone out or pointing fingers,  it's a common mistake...non catfisherman don't realize how big a 20lb channel is.

5/2/16 @ 7:47 AM
NRAguy
NRAguy
User since 6/17/01
Not sure if this was my largest... but it was big enough to break through my net! Winnebago.
Largest Channel Cat photo by NRAguy
4/3/16 @ 10:16 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
A little over 30lb....on Lake Michigan drifting skein for Chinook with a 10'6" light action drift rod and 10lb line....took 25 min just to get her off the bottom, another 30 to get her tired out...another 10 to get her in the net....lol, much fun. Gently released on the beach.Smile
3/28/16 @ 4:09 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I have caught several in the 20-30 lb range down in Southern Illinois on jugs at night, and a few in the 15-25lb range on the rod and reel. Down there if you don't get at least one 15lb+ then you can consider it a bad night. Biggest I have ever seen was actually in northwestern lower Michigan and unfortunately not landed. My buddy hooked a giant on a road runner jig tipped with a wax worm while bluegill fishing. The fish came to the surface just out of reach before spitting the hook. In my opinion it was huge, but its hard to tell exacts when you don't land them.
3/27/16 @ 10:47 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13
Thanks. I was always curious about that. I've never used any online calculators for anything but Muskie/Pike and bass. And I rarely have used any scales.
3/27/16 @ 10:14 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
Rule of thumb is a 30" channel cat is about 12 pounds. I have seen them go as much as 14 or 15 but only a time or two.
3/27/16 @ 9:31 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
I caught two 16 lb channel cats . Both on the Wis. river near Portage. One was in Sept on stink bait on day and one was when I was after flatheads. It was caught at 10pm on a bullhead about 7" long. Over the last 25 yrs the river seems to have fewer big channel cats but more of them. I am sure I have lost bigger channels on stink cause I only use 12 lb test. I always get a few 10 lb cats each year but bigger ones just take line till they find brush.
3/26/16 @ 11:57 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13
I caught one years ago that was 30" long but don't have any idea how much it weighed. I guessed 15-18#'s. Is that accurate at all?
3/23/16 @ 4:42 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01
22# lake mendota off the Tenney Park breakwater a good ten years ago.
2/3/16 @ 9:34 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
Let me add to your comments on the Red. Everything you said is true. There are some other factors. 1. The limit is 5 with only 1 over 24" 2. This is walleye world so it is now a trophy CPR fishery 3. You are allowed 2 poles per person and have to be within 200 feet at all times. This eliminates all alternative methods. 4. There are literally hundreds of miles of river that never get fished. 5. Healthy natural river full of food and good living conditions I am very lucky to live on this amazing river and be able to make my living showing people the fish that call it home.
2/3/16 @ 1:11 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12
A couple of other things I like about the Red. I don't see commercial fisherman, jugs, and bank poles littered all over creation in the videos I've watched.
2/3/16 @ 1:06 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12
Svitreum, don't discredit that 11 pounder for a small river. A 10 pounder in most rivers around here is pretty special. The Red is a anomaly when it comes to catfish rivers. I often wondered why the Red's catfish get so big. Genetics would have to be #1 to me. No matter how you control the other variables, if it's not in their DNA, it won't make a difference. #2 factor is a toss up between the standing water availability of Lake Winnipeg and the fact they don't compete with blues/flatheads. It seems that channels that grow big seem to have access to quiet water. I believe this helps in times of major floods and winter time. As far as the bigger cousins, channels never seem to do very well size wise when they have to deal with them and usually get pushed into limited areas. #3 Management!!! North Dakota, Minnesota and Manitoba are light years ahead of Illinois. When it comes to catfish down here, you can commit murder, brag about it , and most likely nothing will happen.
2/3/16 @ 11:40 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Around 18 lb. Didn't have a weigh scale so I did good measurements and used a weight calculator. I don't target giant channel cats and fish mainly smaller rivers. I caught him in a hole that coughed up 4 flathead cats, 2 of them being 26 and 28 lb. He had one eye too. Tough old guy. My previous biggest was only 11 lb from the same little river. I would like to make a trip up to the Red River some day, just to catch some big channels.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE