SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

Ice Fishing Catfish

11/20/15 @ 2:04 PM
INITIAL POST
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
It looks like the ice cat season is quickly approaching. I have it high on my list of things to do this winter. How many of you do it and can you offer any tips?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
1/16/19 @ 3:05 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

Here is example

1/16/19 @ 2:55 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

The catfish under ice will most likely be in the deepest holes you can find. I use the Navionics phone app (with GPS) to locate the deep water and you will connect. Tight Lines!

#Navionics

1/14/19 @ 3:26 PM
scooner
User since 6/26/02

Hello everyone,  I am looking to try and get into some ice cats. Particularly want to try beaver dam lake. Has anyone ice fished for cats out there? Any area that seems to better? Daytime or nighttime? Thanks for any help and info, scooner. 

12/1/15 @ 10:18 PM
icehouse n eyes
icehouse n eyes
User since 7/1/12
Same as big shane. petenwell in the channels. cats all day jigging. raps spoons u name it. fun, but not my target species
11/29/15 @ 11:02 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
The more I dig into this the more I like the idea of Automatic Fisherman and/or Jaw Jacker. I can't seem to get an answer whether they are legal over here in ND. The regs read as grey to me. I would be doing most of my ice cat fishing in MN anyway and those are all illegal over there. I guess the bottom line is get out and try it.
11/29/15 @ 9:18 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I just started getting them last year on a shallow lake I tip-up fish for pike. I have been getting them in the deepest part of the lake (about 7-8 fow) mostly on auto-fisherman with a medium shiner set about a foot off the bottom, and always just before dark. All of them go from 6-10 lbs. Boy do they fight hard!! One old timer fishes for these exclusively and always at night. Just a different little wrinkle in the ice fishing repertoire.
11/25/15 @ 4:36 AM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
This is a Big Green cat from last spring. The locals sent me to "Cat School" and I learned a lot. Most of what I got were around 30". A ton of fun on a jig pole through the ice! I am going to try starting earlier this year, if it ever freezes up!
11/24/15 @ 8:43 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01
Watched a segment of ice fishing for cats on in-fisherman years ago. Applied the info. No issues catching winter cats since. 3/8 Oz jig with chunk of cut bait ( I use golden shiner) or sometimes use a #5 or #7 jigging rap again tipped with cut bait. Deep water with mild current. I jig bottom 6 or 7 feet. Best usually 2-3 feet up. They are in huge rather lethargic schools that do not move much. Once you find them action can be fast. There are multiple flowages with good cat populations along the Wisconsin...
11/24/15 @ 3:56 PM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
ask for info on the big green thread. i know its a big deal there. good luck. mmmmmmmmm smoked cat!!
11/24/15 @ 2:28 PM
Todd Young
User since 6/25/15
Interesting subject. I ice fish a local lake often for pike, bass and pan fish. The lake is loaded with channel cats. Don't ever recall ever catching one or seeing on iced. Anxious to hear how you make out and about your methods.
11/23/15 @ 4:31 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
I usually catch them on tip ups accidentally. They often barrel roll and tangle the line. That's my only expierence.
11/22/15 @ 5:01 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
Once again I have been assigned to write about ice fish cats. I have been doing my homework. Hopefully soon I can put it all together.
11/20/15 @ 6:39 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
I hope to pick up where I left off in the spring. A chunk of meat, just off the bottom. I would like to take a three day weekend and see if I can find them.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE