i found sonnys stink bait

7/17/15 @ 2:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
wishwasonwater
wishwasonwater
USER since 11/2/05
After searching, I just found some sonnys stink bait at the sportsman in appleton. I bought a couple of blood and one regular kind now I can have fun.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
5/21/17 @ 3:40 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

I did a bait off yesterday using the Berkely dip bait, Sudden Impact, and Sonny's. Sonny's went 2 for 5, Sudden Impact went 0-2 and the Berkely stuff 0-0. I am going to try it again on a warm day when the water is closer to 70 degrees. I have tried numerous dip baits and the only one that has come close to unseating Sonny's is the Junie's products. 

I just bought (4) 45 oz tubs of Sonny's so I expect to be good for a year or 2. 

Sonny's

Edited on 5/21/17 3:43 PM
Post Your Comment
5/21/17 @ 8:49 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

Fleet farm in Stevens Point finally has it again.  Although , I met the field tester for Berkeley Power Dip and Power punch.  He fishes head to head with Sonny's and says the Berkeley Power products catch more and bigger fish.  Anyone else have experience with those products?

Post Your Comment
5/6/17 @ 12:50 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

As much as I love using Sonny's for the shear amount of fish it catches, I am extremely jealous of those who can just toss in a worm and get the same results. If I fish worms it's carp, sucker, drum, repeat. Blech!!

Post Your Comment
5/1/17 @ 8:57 AM
bueller
bueller
USER since 1/4/03

Yes, Sonny's is terrible. It's messy, it stinks, it only catches small fish. Please do not use it. In fact if you still have any in your possession you should send it to me so that I can properly dispose of it.

Post Your Comment
4/29/17 @ 9:20 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

It depends on where you are fishing and if your intention is to catch mostly eaters or bigguns. I like catfish and where I get them from they are quite good to eat. I have tried other baits like cut bait and crawlers and all I catch are drum on the Rock river by Fort Atkinson. If I want to catch cats and only cats I always use Sonny's. It's stinky and messy no doubt, but it catches fish like crazy where I fish. I know on the Wisconsin river it was almost useless for me and cut bait caught all the fish that day. I don't fish there much as it is almost a 2 hour drive. Just depends on the body of water.

Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 9:06 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12

I don't know...people are paying almost $23 for a 45 oz. jar in some parts of the country. I've never seen Sonny's not catch fish, however, at the price I don't consider it a good value anymore.

Post Your Comment
4/25/17 @ 3:05 PM
SmackinBass
SmackinBass
USER since 8/24/12

I bought some of that last year after reading good things about it here. It's a freaking mess and I have yet to catch a fish on it. Crawlers and cut bait seem to be a much better option.

Post Your Comment
3/22/17 @ 1:47 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I don't know why anyone would use that fishing the wolf river,  I can think of about 3 things that are better and more readily available and not as sloppy. 

Post Your Comment
3/16/17 @ 8:07 PM
Monkeymaster
Monkeymaster
USER since 2/22/17

I have had good stink bait "sonnys" retention with the vinyl mesh treble hook bait holders.

Put it in the jar dry.

I also have a wooden dowel, to pack the bait in the top where the line comes out, when it is stuffed into the bait.

I also use wooden shims, from Menards, Lowes ect, to pack bait into the mesh sides, hold the thick end, while the thin end has enough flex/give to push and bend around your bait.

I also swap these mesh baits out while fishing, after reeling in to rebait, one sits and drys, while the dried off one, gets dipped, then thrown back out.

Good luck

Post Your Comment
3/16/17 @ 11:10 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

FlyAllDay. The bait holder must be dry in order for the bait to stick. I keep a good supply of shop rags in the boat to dry the bait holder. Give that a try. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts