Catfish Family Fight

2/16/16 @ 1:09 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
I see someone asked Brad on his facebook page which one fights the best among the three. I believe the question had them all weighing in at 23 pounds. You can simplify this really quickly. The anal fin ray count is the only difference between blues and channels from a physical standpoint along with ultimate size. Male channels and blues are often confused around here. They both have deeply forked tails along with a body that is more slender than flatheads. This allows them to better function in current. Flatheads to me are your no neck fullback. The equalizer is I've always caught my flatheads in slack water. Had those fish made it out into the current it would have been a quick defeat for me. I've watched a few videos of big flatheads being caught in moderate Rock River current and it was a brutal fight.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
2/18/16 @ 10:23 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Never caught a blue and the biggest channel I ever caught was 18lb. The big channel fought like hell, but only for about 10-15 minutes. This was on a Medium light walleye stick with 8 lb braid. Flatheads that size take well over 30 minutes to land on the same set-up. They just kinda stay down on the bottom and drag the boat around. I am gonna fish more cut bait this year in an attempt at coaxing more "big" channels. I tend to fish with dip bait which catches a lot of smaller to medium size fish.

Post Your Comment
2/17/16 @ 12:33 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
Sometimes you get an individual fish that just makes me shake my head. I hooked a little 2 pounder last May and he acted like a hyperactive smallmouth. He was making the best jumps I've ever seen out of a cat and swimming all over the place.

My favorite though goes back to my wading days. I set the hook on this fish and it darts upstream. He then decides to stop right next to my legs and just sit there. Apparently, I made a nice current break for him.

One note on Flatheads. Three years ago I was lucky enough to cross paths with their migration on the Rock. It was definitely one of the most intense and captivating things I have ever witnessed.

Post Your Comment
2/17/16 @ 9:51 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
No Neck linebacker? I love it. I guide many people who fish blues and they all say our channels out fight their blues. Flatheads are sort of foreign to me but from everything I see and have experienced about them they are incredible fighters.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment