Catfish and the Barometer

10/23/15 @ 4:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I have been researching this for years and have started to figure out some patterns that go with the barometer. Before I put my two cents in I would like to see what some of you think about the barometer and how it affects catfish. GO
Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
11/13/15 @ 9:41 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I use wunderground a lot for past data when compiling stats. I use the 15 minute intervals on barometer to match patterns. It is a great tool for researching patterns in any area of the US

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
11/10/15 @ 2:10 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
Weather Underground has a map with all the weather stations that provide very detailed 24 hour graphs for just about any weather stat you could want. I'm fortunate in that someone has a Davis VantagePro2 one mile west of me!

Post Your Comment
10/31/15 @ 1:30 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
It is funny that I can forget a person's name who I just met but I can look at a certain spot on the river and tell you who caught what 10 years ago.

I actually have thousands of stats now punched into Excel so I can look stuff up as needed from years back. I also have some fairly detailed catch records on a calendar. I even keep the books locked in a safe.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/31/15 @ 10:15 AM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
A combo of a very good memory, lots of pictures, and lately I make maps and writes notes on them about the day.

Post Your Comment
10/30/15 @ 4:32 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I can't say I have fished in fog enough to have an opinion.

Your mention of 1998 raises a question. Do you just remember certain dates and years of good bites or do you have a journal going back that far?

I started keeping some stuff in a journal in 2007 and each year because I have more questions it gets a little more detailed.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/30/15 @ 1:41 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
This got me thinking about my best day back in August of 1998. I remember it being a typical high pressure day-mile high skies, strong wind out of the NW and just cool enough for a hoodie in August. I was fishing a very shallow stretch of the Rock. Lots of small islands, gravel bars, and riffles. Normally, I would fish a spot, catch a few and move on. Repeat. Mobility is generally the key on this river. I went to a small hole(4ft and the size of a basketball court) between two rock bars. I caught 44 fish from one spot in 2-3 hours from an area that I would have normally never fished as it never produced much for me before that day.

Not the barometer, but it being very foggy along the Mississippi today, got me thinking that I have very good Walleye/Sauger and ice fishing in the fog. The animals around me are wound up today, for sure. I don't have any catfishing in the fog experiences, however.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 8:20 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
Ok here is a little more. Catfish (and deer from what I observe) can tell when there is a big front coming days in advance. As you know they don't have a weatherman telling you of incoming fronts days in advance. I was able to document three to four days out of a major storm front the bite picking up on a slight barometer drop. I also noticed more feeding deer more often at different times of the day. As the front moved closer the bite got better and better and I saw more deer. As soon as the storm hit the wind switched from south to north and the bite shut down immediately.

In past tense I was able to go back to the www and find the chart to the day and document the barometer and storm front down to a 15 minute window. I have this documented four times just in 2015.

So with that I believe the pressure did nothing to the fish. They sensed something negative but didn't know the severity and prepared accordingly. They simply fed until full and moved off current to wait out the negative force.

With that the fish could still be found but we had to go out of current and sit on them a little longer than normal. Once they do this it can take 24-72 hours for the fish to move back to current to actively feed again. Understanding this is an adjustment to go after them and stay on fish, even in the worst of fronts.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 1:29 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
USER since 12/23/12
Interesting. I didn't fish out of a boat until I was 25. The first 13 years of catfishing for me was wading around the rifles and rapids of the Rock River. Obviously, I never caught a fish deeper than 3 feet deep. My scuba diving co-worker told me the water pressure wouldn't matter for the majority of the fish that are that shallow. Besides, if human beings can sense pressure changes, the much more acute senses of a catfish should be able to with ease.

If I get out work at a decent hour tonight, I'm giving the local hole with its scattered debris one more shot tomorrow morning since the remnants of Patricia are heading up the Mississippi/Ohio valleys.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 11:31 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I'll go a little deeper here. I have done extensive research on how catfish react to barometer. I once met an engineer who told me that it is impossible for the air pressure to make any difference on a fish based on the water pressure they already endure. He went on to say that barometer is the predictor to the sun and it is the sun that dictates the fish reaction. OK, this was food for thought.

After my own research for now five years I believe that the instincts of catfish are so great that they can feel the barometer changes that are so small so early that they can feed up for the negative that is about to happen. Think about that for a bit.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 9:08 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
An earthquake huh? That little nugget proves right into some of the research I have been working on. It amazes me more every day what animal instincts can do to allow them to prepare for negative conditions.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts