MORE
Catfish Fishing

Bait Off: Cut Bait vs Sonny's

8/13/18 @ 11:31 AM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Been wanting to do this for some time now. I plan on hitting the Rock River around Fort Atkinson one of these Sunday mornings for cats. I will be fishing cut bait vs Sonny's to see if transitioning to cut bait is worth it. Hardest part is catching something to cut up and use. There are some blow downs/snags near deeper water where some green sunfish might be hanging out, and there always seems to be some small sheepies around. Not gonna spend $$$ on suckers. I've heard that the bigger fish hit cut bait better. We shall see..................................

I might even drift for an hour to see if any flatties are interested in the 5" flukes yet. I would trade one of these about 8 lbs for a limit of eater channels.

I will post my results afterwards.

Jimmy

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
8/17/18 @ 9:22 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I'll stop by the bait shop and see what they have. Thx for the suggestion.

Has anybody tried dead crawdads? If I trap them on the same body of water and freeze them to kill them would that be legal? I know down south some people swear by crawdads, especially soft shell molters. In my native PA we drift a 2"-3" live craw 3' under a float on the river below my dad's house. Non-stop smallie and channel cat action.

I was thinking using a carolina rig with a whole dead craw near snags or deep holes.

8/16/18 @ 12:23 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

You don't need suckers.  Just go to your local bait shop and skim off all the dead minnows or see if they have frozen. I'm confident that dead minnows,  no matter what they are will out-produce stink bait and cut bait for that matter.  If I use just cut bait,  you take what you can get but whitebass, golden shiners or bluegill would be what i'd want.  

I been using stink bait since i was a kid,  always sonny's blood flavor. It works w o a doubt,  but i'll take a pile of dead suckers, goldens or fat heads over a fresh cut bait.

The princeton damn is notoriously good with sonny's.  Everyone uses that there. I outfish them with dead minnows or gut sacks from bluegills or whitebass.  real is the real deal I think.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE