Walleye Limits Reduced Area 5 Ontario

1/9/18 @ 7:22 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Deerlake1
Deerlake1
USER since 6/20/13

Here is a link to a very unpopular political move by the Ministries in Ontario.

http://thedrydenobserver.ca/2018/01/camp-owners-association-outraged-over-border-waters-expansion/

Limit from 4 to 2 not based on science but on politics.
 2 walleye per day. Possession limit 4. Eat 2 for lunch your done for the day with walleyes in the boat even if you catch a trophy unless you like bologna sandwiches for shore lunch. Good sportsmen will not violate but will this cause others to fudge the truth if questioned on what they had for lunch.I will not be going back as a guest to Canada. I spend about $1100 a year, US funds, in Ontario.They took away the tax rebate of about $35 a year. They reduced the walleye limit and the lodge took away a free guide day with my package that I have had for 15 years. $130 value.

I feel sorry for all the nice folks up there that could be hurt because anglers have had enough of being gouged on prices by the politicians. Yes the fishing is spectacular but they have over priced themselves for the value given for monies spent.  There are wilderness lakes in my home state that can compare to the Canadian experience and I plan on taking on a new adventure and a Walleye limit of 5 per day.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
1/20/18 @ 6:56 PM
Deerlake1
Deerlake1
USER since 6/20/13

HST Rebates are no longer in affect for 2018. This program ended Dec 31,2017. Our lodge has informed us the program is gone.

Regarding conservation license. Area five conservation license limits are cut in half for non residents. One Walleye per day not my idea of a trip worth while. 

How does a lodge prepare walleyes for you to take home if fisherman doesn't catch them himself. Sounds suspicious to me.

Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 12:59 PM
CO2006
CO2006
USER since 11/28/14

The change to regulations in Area 5 is fine by us.  Most of our guests buy a conservation license and very few ever want to take fish home with them.  We have one outpost in the new zone 5 and all the rest are farther north, which we still do the conservation licenses.  You can eat fish while you're at the camps, we just ask you not to bring any out.  If guests want walleye to take home we can arrange to have fillets available when they come out. That way they can take home as much as they want, and its commercially packaged.

As far as the HST rebate, it is still in effect.  Maybe your outfitter used to include it in the rate and now they've taken it off their invoice.  You can still apply for the rebate and it usually takes about a month for the cheque to arrive.

As far as the DUI's it goes both ways, if we as a Canadian have any criminal charges, we can't get into the USA.  They have relaxed the DUI a little bit in the last couple of years, but if its a recent one then you most likely won't get across the border

Post Your Comment
1/15/18 @ 1:19 PM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

Bugle trout I hope you have a great first trip to Canada! My first trip was twenty years ago. It took a couple trips to find the right place but I ended up liking it so much I take numerous trips a year now. The fishing was a touch better 20 years ago than now but typically I catch more walleyes in one day of Canada fishing than I will catch all season at home in Wisconsin.  I heard lots of old timers complaining about how you can't bring anything home from Canada anymore before I went as well. And I am glad I did not listen to them. I have Lots of found memories, lots of fish caught, released,and ate. It has been a very positive experience for me and my family. My 9 year old caught this 19 pound pike off the dock at the lodge we were staying at a couple years ago.

Edited on 1/15/18 1:51 PM
Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 5:22 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks Pop.  I do look forward to our trip. The fact that the limits are stricter than those in the Midwest were surprising to me but the draw of fishing up there trumped that.  The Dakotas are another bucket list fishing destination for me so I look forward to that too.  Alaska is the only place, other than Northern Wisconsin, that I've visited twice or more.  If we would get harassed by the Feds up there, I probably would make this a one-and-done trip.  There are a lot of great destinations within our own borders that I've never been to.  

Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 4:52 PM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01

1. The border crossing...

Was torn down last time, and by the time we reloaded both trucks and boats we were at 3hrs total crossing time..

I also had a DUI in 1999...

2. Regulations...

I do want the keep a few fish...

3. The cost...

My money is much better spent in the states

i would however not deter someone who hasn’t been there from going...

Ontario gets old... If I’m going to drive more that 12hrs I’m heading to the Dakotas..

Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 3:50 PM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

Last time I was to Canada 1997,was treated like Garbage by the wardens,never found any violations!Picked everything apart!went thru cabin ,boat, luggage!Asked what they were looking for and never got an answer! Older warden just rolled his eyes but younger one was on a mission! Was going up there for 10-12 years NEVER again! Fish Wi. Minnesota,and Dakotas much better and NO Passports!

Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 3:24 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Pop,

What are the reasons behind your decision to no longer go?  Im not looking for an argument and will respect your opinions.  I get it that some people like to eat fish.  That is likely why some no longer go.  Has the quality of the experience changed outside of the possession limits?  I've never been ther so I have no frame of reference.

Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 2:19 PM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01

I as someone who has been,to Canada many times am surprised it took some,people so long to stop going....  The door hit me in the ass a long time ago!

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 8:11 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Yes, you are correct Fetch if you're camping on Crown land.  Even if you have a non-resident Sportsman's license, you can only possess 2 walleye.  We're staying at a commercial lodge on private land so our Sportsman's license is good for 4.  "Perks" of feeding the local economy I guess.

If you want a cooler full of fillets, you can get 110 lbs. here for about the cost of an average week-long trip to an American Plan lodge.  

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 5:59 AM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06

Bugle Trout.... Better check those regs close!  In the area we fish the daily bag is the same as the possession limit.   We have dealt with the reduced bag limit for several years now because we choose to camp and buy the Conservation License.  If we fish the same lake but stay at a resort or motel we could but a sportsman's License and our limit would be 4.  It's all about feeding the local economy.  After the first day, 1 to 1½ fish per person is plenty for shore lunch.  We have brats the last day so we can take those 2 fish home the morning we leave.  If someone NEEDS a cooler full of walleye fillets to have a successful trip, they need to go to Lake Erie instead...........

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts