vermilion bay area

11/26/13 @ 11:48 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishguidealso
fishguidealso
USER since 2/5/10
Well just about near the end of the month.still deer hunting.little tougher this year with 50% of our herd gone.last years brutal winter did a number on our deer especially the larger bucks.very few around.there are some here and there.conditions are starting to go bad allready so far.getting to much snow again and its early in the year.if this keeps up we will lose more deer this winter.lakes are starting to freeze up pretty good now with some cold weather(-20c) the last few days.looking forward to some lake trout fishing(jan.1).cant wait.hope its mild out.might try some walleye or slake sooner.but iam still in hunting mode till dec.15,then ill think about fishing.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
8/27/14 @ 1:51 AM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
Hey John, How is the deer herd looking this year. I read your posts from 2013 where you said that another bad winter in 2013-2014 would wipe out much of the herd.

Any 2014 reports yet??

Post Your Comment
2/28/14 @ 7:54 AM
fishguidealso
fishguidealso
USER since 2/5/10
Cant seem to get at my messages.anybody that left me one email me johnsoutdooradventures@gmail.com I'll get back in touch with you.thx.john

Post Your Comment
2/28/14 @ 7:27 AM
fishguidealso
fishguidealso
USER since 2/5/10
Dont know if my post and pic uploaded.got 2' of ice with 2-3 ft of snow on top of it.way to much snow this year, and to much slush.some guys have had to leave sleds overnight.fishing has bern good when we get a window to go in between the -30 weather we've had since November. Just real ugly out this year.next week much better weather coming and will give the fish a beating.lol.headed to siouxlookout next week to target some bruiser lake trout.ill let you know how it goes

Post Your Comment
2/27/14 @ 7:32 AM
Esox2Hart
Esox2Hart
USER since 1/19/05
John, Hows the fishing???Up to 5' of ice yet?? Any Lakers or Walleyes?

Post Your Comment
12/12/13 @ 5:16 PM
fishguidealso
fishguidealso
USER since 2/5/10
The deer seemed to be slower for sure.but this cold weather has reslly turned on the feed bag.I have deer coming to my bait right from what looks like all over.still mostly smaller bucks but lots.never seen them in oct and nov.have 3 very large bucks also in the bait but these guys are coming in just a bit after I have to case the rifle.weather has been brural here the last week.-30c everynight and 2ft of snow allready.making it tough on the remaining herd that survived last year. This keeps up were going to loose more deer this year.not looking good.some bucks are loosing there antlers allready.rutting bucks are in poor shape absolutly no fat on them right now.at least the deer iam feeding are pretty healthy looking and might have a chance at seeing spring.

Post Your Comment
11/30/13 @ 7:25 PM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
Hey John, I have been hunting in your area for the past 7 years and by far 2013 was the most disappointing deer hunt I have experienced. Was out for 12 days in early November and saw 3 little bucks and about 6 doe the whole time. Did see more wolf tracks than usual.

Had a couple cameras set up that didn't show much with the few deer we had pictures of moving at night. And you are right, no big bucks. What a shame...

Might try something different for the next couple years in hopes that the deer herd makes a comeback.

Post Your Comment